Florida-South Florida
Options

Hair and Makeup pricing

I planned to use 2 different girls, one for hair and one for makeup. I was sent a contract for my hair totaling $180. The price is higher because I am only one person with no bridal party. It ends up being $150 plus $30 travel fee.
The makeup girl who normally charges $40 per person is charging $70 because for lack of better words it has to be "worth her while".
The total for my hair and makeup comes out to $250 plus tips I guess, however the hair seems a little high to me. I could def go to a nearby salon for hair then head to the hotel and have my makeup done. What do you ladies think?

Re: Hair and Makeup pricing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Seems a little expensive for hair but if you really like her work then I say slurge but if you'll be just as happy going to a nearby salon then I would def save money and do that!

HTH!
    *February Siggy*
    <3 Favorite Picture of me and my man <3 <br>Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think both quotes seem a bit high. I only budgeted $150 for both hair and make-up and I was able to find someone.  But like pp said if you really like their work and have it in your budget then go for it.  Your photos will last forever so you should find the people that you really love, to do your hair and make up. hth :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ">
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Too pricey, IMO. I'd find someone you like at the salon and do that!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    efontefont member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heather that's too pricey. Did Claudia raise the price on you??? I thought she had a flat fee.

Our Furbabies: Jake, Bentley & Logan
    imageimageimageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_hair-makeup-pricing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:a22bbbde-603e-4bb6-a2c2-7b76693aa43fPost:b164245c-d8d8-48d0-a875-d80045bf6ef2">Re: Hair and Makeup pricing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heather that's too pricey. Did Claudia raise the price on you??? I thought she had a flat fee.
    Posted by efont[/QUOTE]

She did, since it is only me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed - seems high - I'd think about going to a salon, unless you live them and it's in your budget then do what makes you happy
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    plswitzeplswitze member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    have you discussed hair & make-up with your BM's? They might surprise you and want to get their hair done, then possibly your overall price might drop a bit... $250 for just your hair and MU is high IMO. 
    *My Planning Bio* *UPDATED 1-18-2012*
    South FL March siggy: Fave Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    efontefont member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heather, I'm totally bothered by this. At first it was only me getting my make up done & she told me she had a flat fee of $40. I hired her awhile back & it's not until recently that I added 2 more people.  So I don't know why should would raise her rate.

Are you getting ready far from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale??  That's the only thing I could think of.

Our Furbabies: Jake, Bentley & Logan
    imageimageimageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Martica14Martica14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heather I also hired Claudia and she told me the same as PP - $40.  I am not sure if she is just raising her prices just now or maybe your location...
    Martica and David Daisypath Anniversary tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker image Website: http://davidandmartica.weebly.com
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was charged $250 for just me and I had 4 other ladies getting their hair and make up done. But I agree with PP. If you don't feel comfortable paying that much I'd def. go to a salon to get your hair done. Then just have a MUA come to your venue. Good luck with your search!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Look high to me, but you'll think about how you looked on your wedding day for the rest of your life. If you can find something cheaper that's the same quality, that's awesome, but I think this is one of the items it's ok to splurge.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am being charged $250, but it includes air brushing and a trial. It would have been lower without those two elements.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do like her work a lot, however I am just undecided about spending an extra $100 on hair when I could go somewhere... Emily and Martica, the hotel is off the 17th street causeway in Fort Lauderdale and yes she is charging me more so that it is "worth her while".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also budgeted $150-$200 total for hair and makeup.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is so frustrating to me! That she pretty much told you it need to be "worth her while"- ugh so rude! You need to find someone who is there for you and not to make it worth their while! Ultimately, it's up to you but i would definitely shop around.. NOTHING is set in stone. 

You can also go to Sephora and speak with the girls in there.. a lot of them are makeup artists on the side, who do absolutely amazing work for next to nothing. 

Best of luch to you in your search!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards