Florida-South Florida
Options

Need Some Insider Perspective on Negotiations with Venues

I know everything in life is negotiable, but how negotiable are venues on pricing?  What were some areas you found they were willing to negotiate on...menu price, room rates, food upgrades, ceremony fees, etc. 

Any advice and insider's perspective you can give me will be huuugely appreciated. 

BTW, I'm considering The Breakers, so would love to hear from fellow Breaker's Knotties. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need Some Insider Perspective on Negotiations with Venues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen would be perfect for this.

We negotiated mostly on food/beverage.
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    shanfitzshanfitz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure about The Breakers but we went through what they have on the suggested menu and cut things out to get to a price we were comfortable with.  For the room block, I wasn't able to get the price down as much as I would have liked due to the boat show but I did get upgraded rooms for my parents. Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I cut out all the nicessities, like champagne toast, wine service with dinner, etc. I've been to 3 weddings since we booked and about 20% of the guests took a sip of the champagne, everyone else toasted with whatever they were drinking.  As for wine service, get up and get your own damn drink LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As for wine service, get up and get your own damn drink LOL
    Posted by sford75[/QUOTE]

SHannon, I just LOL at work... That was too funny!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think a lot of it can depend on the day of the week you are getting married. If it's Saturday, a lot of venues will not be as flexible.

Another consideration is time of year/tourist season and number of rooms guaranteed. For example, the slow season in the Keys is after Labor Day-before Christmas and we have a huge guest list, so we negotiated a really great room rate. If we had tried to have a wedding down there in say, April, our guests would have paid 3 times as much for rooms.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I negotiated with the venues I looked at. I gave them what plate and bar option I wanted and how much I wanted to pay per person. They matched what I said, and it all worked out!
  • Options
    cinthia122cinthia122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I negotiated everything!  I'm getting married at the Colonnade and learn from TK that the room minimum to book the rotunda is negotiable.  Also, menu prices are super negotiable at least when I booked which was over a year ago and the economy was in a huge low.  I negotiated lots of upgrades for free.  Also, part of me booking the venue I also needed a good price on room rates and our room rate is unheard of.  You can definetly negotiate everything just let them know what you want. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you're the one who emailed me, right? I'll reply tonight!
  • Options
    giselle28giselle28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi guy im actually starting reception hunting today.... my first stop is the colonade any suggestions because i know they give u a minimum but what is a decent minimun for 200 guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards