Florida-South Florida
Options

How long should it take you to pick a venue?

1) How long should it take you to pick a venue?

2) How long did it take you to pick a venue?

3) If you have 9-6 months left, is it just to hire a wedding planner at that time, or can you still plan everything on time?  Also, how much do wedding planners usually cost?

Re: How long should it take you to pick a venue?

• Options
    PattyJosePattyJose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, it really depends on the day of your wedding. dates like 10/10/10, 11/11,11, 12/12/12 are usually popular dates so I would say at least a year in advance.

It took us about 2-3 month to find the right venue and book it. So we booked about a year and 2 month in advanced.

Also, you want to book your venue before the 2011 rates come out because rates go up every year. So try to book by late November or early December if possible.

Not sure i understand...are you getting married in 6-9 months? .....well, as far as a wedding planner is concerned, it really depends how hands on you want them. If you want them to help you plan your whole wedding, the earlier you get them the better, if you want to plan everything yourself, you can get a DOC (day of coordinator) which will help you with very last minute things and will be there the day of.

Wedding planners can range from $800- $2000 and  a DOC can range from $350 to $800, depending on who you get and what you want them to do.

HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1.  It really depends - if you just got engaged it could take anywhere from a week to a year depending on how far your date is from the time you get engaged, if your date is available when you decide on a place, etc.  But I'd say to start looking a year in advance if you can.  

2.  It took me a few months.  I had picked a venue out when I first started planning over a year ago, but we stopped planning for a while, and when we got back into it, it was pretty quick (different venue).

3.  Wedding planners rates depend on what type of planner you want, they offer different options, like full planning, partial and day of services.  I'm looking into a DOC right now and have been quoted about $600. Depending on if you want someone every step of the way or just for the day is when you should book.  I'm getting married in March so, I'll probably try to book my DOC before the end of the year.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1) However long it takes to find the a place you want that is within your budget. Some people dream of their wedding in a specific spot, while others have to hunt for the place that feels "right".
    2) I took us 3 months after we got engaged, we booked the wedding about 15 months out, but our first choice for date was already taken.
    3) It depends on your budget and personal time available. If you have to work a lot and don't have time to do reasearch and meet with vendors, you may want to consider a wedding planner. However, if you have a tighter budget, you may find a better way to use the money (upgrade photographer, dj, etc) and do everything yourself. Another option besides an actual wedding planner, is there are venues (country clubs, hotels, etc) that will have all-inclusive packages for you- they will provide everything from the food, to the photographer, to the flowers, to the dj, everything. I don't know how the breakdown cost compares to doing everything yourself but it is something to look into.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. I think it should be the first thing you get done after getting engaged but would depend on how much time you have until the wedding date.
    2. I booked my venue within the first three weeks after getting engaged but we only had 6 months to work with so it was all I focused on following the engagement.
    3. If you are not a major budget as I am, then go for a wedding planner if you don't mind someone else dealing with details. You can still have them run certain details or all details by you if you like, but it really does save a lot of  time and stress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

1. Depends some ppl find in really fast others like me take months

2. It took us about we started looking in about April and didnt find one until September.

3. Some people plan weddings in a few months others take years... I have done mines in about 8 months but really i didnt start doing anything until i got my venue in September (thats when i started to actually by stuff and get things together since i wasnt sure what i was doing)...but anything is possible...of course the less time u have the more u might have to compromise (change dates ,locations, etc).. most people on here just have DOC (day of coordinator) but if u have a big bugdet you can get a coordinator to help with everthing :)..

• Options
    Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guy!  I'm really panicing... I got engaged August 3.  I moved to a different city that month and started a new job in September.  I was adjusting to a lot of things, but made October my priority to look for venues. 

I am having the hardest time getting a hold of event managers for venues to get their information.  I always state my email address in the voicemails, or try emailing them directly, but still no luck!  I'm waiting to hear back from 5 more venues still.  This is after calling everyday.  I just know that I want to get married around Aug of 2011, but I'm so afraid that I'm not going to be able to find something that soon.

The thing is, I was with my fiance for almost 9 years before he finally proposed.  I really don't want to delay this wedding any further.  Time is running out for me, I want a family to plan for soon.  Hope someone out there understands.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ive been engaged since Jan 2008! Most people think thats really long but I just started REALLY planning in September. I live out of state so going to look at venues isnt easy for me like other local brides. I think that Ive finally found my dream venue, so I would that after about 2 months of serious planning, you should come up with something. Im also doing a DOC. good luck,
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Do you live near the venues?maybe take a weekend or on your free day and try to go to some of the venues in person..really thats the best way to get the info..ive noticed that most venues dont really answer emails or call that regularly errr..even after you book most girls complain about it... so its really not the best way to do it...i did get some quotes but once i HAD to get a place i had to get out there and just drive around HTH :) and btw i think August is very realistic :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ninac,

I'm in the same boat as you! I got engaged August 5th, and we plan to get married next August. (I also just moved as well!) Finding a venue felt like it took forever, and it's frustrating because there's not much else you can start planning on till you've got your venue locked down!

Here's some things that might ease your mind:

1. You are getting married in August, which is the off-season, so you have more time to plan without stressing that your dates will not be available if you don't book now.

2. You said "August," so I'm not sure that you've specifically picked a date, but it also might ease your mind a little if you are open to a few dates in August. That way it won't be as stressful worrying that someone else will book "your" date, and you won't get a great venue. I know that doing this for me has definiteily eased my mind.

I've actually contacted a few different vendors, and so far, NO ONE has been booked up for EITHER of the dates that we are considering in August - so really, you've got time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards