Florida-South Florida
Options

Still need help - Location & Kosher Caterers

Hello all -

This is so hard to do from N.VA especially when you haven't spent a whole lot of time in S.FLA in 15 years.  

We are going to look at the SHANE CENTER, CLUB AT EMERALD HILLS...... We think we are opting NOT to use the Broward Parks/Halls mostly because they are HUGE and only a little less expensive than the Shane Center when everything is included.

Kosher Caterers - ugh!  I thought N.VA was expensive...... S.FLA is just as bad.  For a brunch it is looking at $55 per person PLUS tax and Kosher fees..  Is this normal for down there.  A catered brunch KOSHER here is around $35.  That is a huge difference.

We are looking at 50 people.
Preference is cermeony on water (can be bay - intercoastal - doesn't have to be ocean)  KOSHER dairy brunch.
Sunday AM.

PLEASE SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Thanks,
Eva

Re: Still need help - Location & Kosher Caterers

• Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $55/pp for brunch seems a bit high but still in the normal range to me. Usually you can find brunch in the $35-45/pp range at most hotels and country clubs.

I really am no help with caterers as I'm not Jewish-- I'm sorry! :( Maybe you could contact a synagogue in the SoFla area and ask for some recommendations?

Let us know if we can help in any way!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How about the Rusty Pelican? I am not sure if they cater to Kosher meals but its worth a try.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We talked to the following kosher caterers: Greenseid Catering Glatt Kosher Touch Executive Caters Events by Premier. We are having a kabbalat panim and a four-course dinner and the estimates for most of these started at $75/person. I would think a brunch would be much less! We are using Events by Premier (they are the in house caterer at our venue). They are super duper helpful! Our second choice if we had used a different venue was Greenseid. Good luck and mazel tov! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Where are you doing your event?
    Perhaps I am just looking at the WRONG venues.
    It is so hard to do this from up here....

We are now looking at SHANE CENTER, GROVE ISLE and SHUL (Chabad in Surfside).

I am starting to think I need to start calling hotels on the beach or temples.
    We WOULD LIKE to get married overlookign the water.

Yikes.
    Eva
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eva, do you have a wedding planner that is in SoFla? I would highly recommend that you hire one! It will make your life SO much easier.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I attempted to work with a wedding planner here in South Florida but I was told that, with the cost of an oustide kosher cater and my budget, it would not be cost effective for them to help me.  Several planners told me that.  It might not be the best option if your budget is modest.  You can definitely try but I'm just relaying what I was told.

We are getting married at Aventura Turnberry Jewish Center, a conservative shul with a gorgeous temple and ballroom.  It is nowhere near the water or I would definitely recommend it to you.  :)  They also have a great in-house caterer. 

If you want to get married on the beach (and you don't mind an in-house kosher caterer), I suggest calling The Alexander Hotel and the Eden Roc.  Both have kosher kitchens and are on the beach.  We were close to booking the Eden Roc but decided we wanted something more formal/religious.  The Eden Roc has great customer service.

I would also recommend calling either Greenseid Catering or Events by Premier (ask for Steve Polloack, so nice!) and ask them for some recommendations on venues.  They were our two top choices for kosher catering (Events is the in-house at ATJC). 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So- we are getting married at the Westin Resort and Spa on Ft. Lauderdale Beach and will be using executive caterers. We also looked at Embassy caterers who offered similar pricing, but I did not look into the others listed above (these two just happend to be mentioned most by the venues we looked at). 

For a Sunday evening dinner, the westin is charging us 1000 to kasher the kitchen and a pp venue charge for kosher bar/service plus the caterers charge pp charge. We were recently also quoted 50-60pp on Shabbat dinner (buffet style) from executive caterers, so I would guess a brunch would be cheaper (and would be in addition to room cost- but with buffet we could avoid kasher kitchen fee this way). He uses glatt kosher meat. The mashiagh (i can never spell this right) is under 500, but its more if you need O.R.B.  

We are having a plated dinner w/ cocktail hour and when we checked it was the same cost to go outside caterer route as it was to use the Alexander (a nice hotel that has condo style rooms and was more traditional- wood panelling, grand staircase,etc) and the Eden Roc was out of our budget- but it might be different for brunch. We are working with Lenny from Executive Caterers, based out of a temple in boca. The B Hotel on Ft. Lauderdale Beach also allows outside kosher caterers. Sorry for all the details, but wasn't sure if they'd be helpful. I dont have a DOC either- Tammy from the Westin will serve in this role. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards