Florida-South Florida
Options

NWR: Rant-Anyone work for a Orthopedic Surgeon? Advice/Opinions Welcome.

Hi Ladies...

Today I went to the my second Orthopedic Surgeon opinion. I've been seeing a physical therapist for pain for over 2 years... I've been trying to build up strength, but all I get is more pain. I've been X-Rayed, Cat Scanned, MRI'd and medicated for a long time and I am in so much pain I can't even think. 

Finally, I went to see a surgeon about this and the first one (admittedly, he is a knee & joint guy) didn't know what the heck was wrong with me and said I should go see the surgeon who put the rods in my tibia and femur.

So I went back to Dr. Schneider today, and he said that I was probably experiencing Sympathetic or Symptomatic Pain (not sure on that part) and that sometimes years after the surgery, the rods can be the cause of the pain. He said that if everything else has been ruled out, removing the rod can stop the pain. He wants to review my films and will get back to me this week or early next week.

He was great, as usual, about explaining the surgery in detail. It would be an outpatient surgery, and I would be back on my feet (with crutches) within 3 days. It is actually less rehab time than the ACL surgery that I still need to have, but that can wait until after the wedding.

At this point, I am in so much pain... I don't know what else to do. If the wedding were tomorrow, I probably wouldn't be able to stand through the whole ceremony. Let alone dance at the reception.  

So my options are...

1. Do nothing and stay in pain.
2. Try to lose more weight and see if that helps. (But its hard cus I can't exercise, and can barely walk without being on crutches.) 
3. Have the surgery, which scares me a bit and isn't a guarantee to fix the problem.

If anyone knows anything about this, or just want to pipe in. I could really use some help... cuz I am overthinking this and driving myself nuts.

Thanks Ladies. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: Rant-Anyone work for a Orthopedic Surgeon? Advice/Opinions Welcome.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, hun. I'm sorry about this, but you have time in your advantage. I don't want to coerce of influence you into making any rash decisions, you know? I'd ask for another opinion maybe? Or have the surgery and take it from there?

Be strong! The knotties will be here for you :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Jen! I'm sorry to hear about this. Frown
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Jen & Lynette. I believe Dr. Selesnick (sp?) down in the Miami area is great and I do think he's an orthopedic surgeon. A second opinion from a professional wouldn't hurt :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies. :) I will actually be in Miami again on Monday finishing up my dental work (2 years of work finally finished! Woo Hoo) So maybe I will call up the Dr. you mentioned this week. I just hate to go on, "It might be this" and have some seriously painful and expensive surgery. Dr. Schneider is out of network for me... Of course...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey..well I been an orthopeadic nurse for 8 years. And I still do it. I don't know the full extent of your case other than what you stated which sounds to be what the dr. says could be the cause. The thing about bones is..the longer you wait..the more it breaks down. If you in this much pain now, I would highly recommend you do take action now. Not trying to freak you out, but a lot of people try to "tough it out" but at the end it causes more damage. I don't know about where your location is but I know Dr. Borja down here in miami, and Dr. Herrera are great Orthopods..HTH
  • Options
    cinthia122cinthia122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the South Florida Institute of Sports Medicine.  They are phenominal.  Check them out they have different locations.  GL hope it gets better.  I know how it feels!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards