Florida-South Florida
Options

Catholic Priest Help

Help!  My MIL has decided it's crazy important for our beach wedding to be done by a Catholic Priest.  Well I'm not Catholic but that's not the big problem right now that I need help with.  Does anyone know of a Catholic Priest that might be willing to do an outdoor wedding in Key Largo?  I think that retired priests can do it from what I've read online but I'm not sure.  This is a destination wedding for us so we aren't members of a church down there to seek help from. 
It doesn't matter if he's not close to Key Largo.  At this point my fiancee is willing to fly and or drive him in and pay whatever to make this happen.
Help??
Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catholic Priest Help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    From my understanding, only a deacon can offically marry you outside of a Catholic church. Try going that route?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Born and raised Catholic but FI and I are "nondenominational" now. Both my mom and grandma are very active at their churches and every priest they've spoken to will not do a Catholic ceremony outside the church. How do I know? They've been trying to find a priest for my wedding (I'm opposed but you know how it goes obviously!). Honestly, you may be able to find a very liberal priest who will do it but I'm pretty sure it's not allowed. GL with the situation!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Rev. Sean Alexander. He was in the Catholic church for a number of years and left. I'm not sure if he can still do a traditional Catholic ceremony, but there's no harm in asking him. HTH!!

http://www.wedding-officiant.org/
  • Options
    jdipatriziojdipatrizio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is who my sister and her husband used. I am pretty sure it was a traditional catholic wedding but I'm not positive. http://www.thumbtack.com/fl/miami/wedding-officiants/wedding-ceremonies
  • Options
    cbt2011cbt2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  Unfortunately, no Catholic priest will marry you outside of a religious location.  I know this because I spent months trying to get around this.  In the end, we have to have a religious ceremony in another diocese (where it is allowed) and then have our wedding celebration in Miami. 

Another option might be a Franciscan priest.  I really don't know much about them but I think they do non-denominational weddings.

Good luck!
    Cristy =)
  • Options
    REINATAPIAREINATAPIA member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup they will only marry you in church, also you need to attend and register for a Wedding encounter (Weekend Retreat) about 6 months in advance and more requirements if you have not been baptized, done First Comunion and Confirmation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards