Florida-South Florida
Options

Starting the Gown Search

Hello Brides to Be,

I have finally started looking at gowns, now that we have settled on a venue, date, invites etc and their costs. We have decided to do a formal affair in an intimate ballroom for about 100 guests.

Anyways, I need suggestions from other South Floridians because the date is in early May and I would like to have an idea of fabrics that are not going to make me a hot sweaty mess...Not so pretty in the photos, haha!

Any adivce from other spring/summer Florida brides would be fantastic! Thank youuuuu!

Best, AMH

Re: Starting the Gown Search

• Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a December bride but I'm wearing chiffon. Why? Well, mostly because I like it better than satin (too physically heavy and just not my style), but it's also cooler.

I'd definitely stay away from the satin or silk. Try chiffon, lace, jersey, or charmeuse. 

That said, try everything on!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

How exciting! Dress shopping is the funnest part of the wedding plans. My dress is made of taffeta. I was looking for a light fabric that would float (for my trash the dress session) at Alfred Angelo I was told that satin is a heavier fabric.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think because you are indoors and formal I would stick to Satin, and Taffetta...IMO Chiffon can often times look very casual....Taffetta is a formal and lighter alternative to Satin.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_starting-gown-search?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:e95e90ef-d02a-4ae2-8f3d-6efb3c7a4dd2Post:c3416629-5550-4f10-b60a-89fdca7f2d79">Re: Starting the Gown Search</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a December bride but I'm wearing chiffon. Why? Well, mostly because I like it better than satin (too physically heavy and just not my style), but it's also cooler. I'd definitely stay away from the satin or silk. Try chiffon, lace, jersey, or charmeuse.  That said, try everything on!
    Posted by FaithCaitlin[/QUOTE]
    Exactly!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with PP about trying everything on! I wouldn't want to go in limiting myself to certain fabrics. If you fall in love with a lightweight dress, that's a bonus, but look at dresses that you think are beautiful and that make you feel beautiful, and if it's a little heavy, it's a little heavy. (This is coming from the girl who tried on her satin dress yesterday and really forgot how heavy it is! BUT, I'm sure I'll still be able to get my groove on and have a great time)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies :) I really need the advice! I will definitely try the gowns on! I have a date with my mom, sister and me to go for the first time at the end of September :) I wanted to see what your opinions were because the knotties are in the know, sooooo I really appreciate it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards