Options

To invite or not to invite...

I already know what some people think about this but:

Should you invite your boss?!
:: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::

Re: To invite or not to invite...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not inviting mine because 1. I'm not a huge fan of his & he doesn't believe in marriage & 2. I'm not including anyone from the workplace. Had I worked in a different setting, maybe with less people & a boss who actually appreciated weddings/marriage, I would reconsider. lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I say it depends on if you and your boss are close or friendly outside of work, IMHO.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My boss is my mentor and my good friend, so I will definitely be inviting him.  

In my opinion, even if you're not great friends with your boss, you should invite him/her.  Unless you plan on quitting anytime soon, this is a person you'll have to work under for a while, if not years; spending one invite on him/her isn't that big a deal when you look at it that way.  And if they accept your invitation, then it's a bit more of an investment (two additional plates and whatnot) but something like that can only serve to be a positive thing in your working relationship; something you guys can chit chat about and look back on every once in a while. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im inviting him and his wife. i think it will be far more painful to NOT invite him and work under him for who knows how long and him know that I CHOSE NOT to invite him. i would extend an invitation - chances are they wont go but its the thought that counts! plus brownie points ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didnt invite any of my bosses but I'm not close to them.  If I was I wouldnt have any problem inviting them.  I ended up only inviting one person from my office so it wasnt awkward or anything~ it all depends on your personal situation I think.  Do you want your boss there?  I think thats the most important question....
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel you should always invite your boss unless you dont have enough space and/or you feel they aren't worth the money that you are spending on them(reception lunch/dinner X 2).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not only inviting her, but she will be marrying us.

I'm close to her and most of my co - workers. I've worked here for a few years, with almost the exact same group of people, and I'm probably going to be here a few more years, so I can't imagine not inviting them. They all know my FI and &, and we do spend some time together outside of work.

But of course, it all depends on your situation. I work with almost all Hispanics, and we're all just close like family that way. On the other hand, the few American people that work here, I'm not close to, and if I do invite them, it will be out of obligation since I'm inviting everyone else.
  • Options
    Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I understand your questioning Lynette.  For someone who is one of 50 employees..you might get away with not inviting them...but if you are in an office of 5, then maybe you should as some type of etiquette.

Garrett and I are inviting our bosses...we already know that his boss doesn't mix work and pleasure, so he will not attend, but we will still send an invite.

My two bosses are coming. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it all depends on the enviroment setting & how long you have been working there. f you work in a small office then I think you should. If you work in a huge company & your boss doesn't notice if you are there or not. Then they wont notice if you got married or not. As a business owner myself, I receive invitations all the time from my employees. And depending on the occasion & the employee I will go. I have 30 employees and most of them have been w/ me since I opened my business 8yrs ago, so I have grown a relationship w/ them. I think i may be a little bothered if I wasnt invited. Though I wouldnt hold it against them because I know in todays economy you just can't afford to invite the world.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am dealing with the same dilemna.  I have 2 supervisors and supervise 2 people, plus I have an admin assistant that I just have to invite.  My FI wants her there because she always makes him brownies for his birthday and we did attend her daughters wedding.  If I invite everyone and their spouses, that is 10 people.  I still haven't decided.  My FI is only inviting 1 friend from work, not his boss.  They do not get along.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your input. Here is my situation:

I've been at the company for 5 years. I was laid off last february but they brought me back for freelance within the year. And now I'm back there, but on MY terms. I deal directly with the owner of the company, and thinking about her being at the wedding makes me anxious.

However, as a freelancer, I also have a client who I loooooove and who is always willing to give me referrals for whatever I need for the wedding and I definitely want to invite her and her husband.

My mom says I HAVE to invite ALL of my bosses but like I said before.... this one lady drives me crazy. I just don't know what to do. I DO have the space, so that's not the issue. The issue is, I just don't want to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depends entirely on your relationship with him/her! It definitely sounds like you will be anxious with her there, so don't weat it, hun. Don't invite her. Unless she tries to eat your firstborn if she doesn't get an invite. Gah I don't know lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    After I got engaged.. i told everyone at my job-site. And added them all to my guest list, then had sticker shock and cut 99% of them out. I am only inviting 2 people from my job and thier families. I was asked by a co-worker at our other school if they were invted and i said no..but you are more than welcome to come to the bachelorette party..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You answered your own question, lovie...

[QUOTE] I DO have the space, so that's not the issue. The issue is, I just don't want to.[/QUOTE]
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I DID answer my own question... but I knew this to begin with. I don't want to invite her. My mom says I have to. I highly doubt she would show up, but even the thought of her knowing she's invited makes my skin crawl. I really can't stand this woman. However, I don't want to piss her off when she realizes she's not invited. Another ex-coworker of mine got married and she wasn't invited and she got really upset.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards