California-Los Angeles
Options

Fiances in Law School

Anyone else out there engaged to a first year law student?  With all the studying my honey has to do I am doing most of the wedding stuff on my own.  I bounce ideas off of him and he approves or disapproves, but that's basically all he has time for.  I was just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat and if they have any ideas on how to not go crazy and feel like they're bearing the whole burden!  Granted, we only JUST started planning so it's not that crazy yet, but it will be in a matter of months.

Re: Fiances in Law School

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I live in different states about 8 out of 12 months of the year and I have been doing most of the planning.I have felt very frustrated with him because he only tells me when he disapproves but otherwise doesn't have an opinion.The hardest part will be while you are booking the major vendors, try to rely on the girls on the board for moral support.  The next hardest part will be while you are trying to decide decor and the final details like pictures and songs and stuff like that.  And definitely try to talk to your Fi about other stuff besides the wedding, because after awhile they will tune the wedding stuff out.  My FI said he would pick up the phone and hear me going "wedding wedding wedding wedding wedding wedding . . ." We almost broke up over the whole wedding planning thing it can be very stressful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is not in law school, but he's getting his PhD in chemistry at Caltech, so he's also very stressed about school, and doesn't have time for wedding planning! I like planning stuff and he doesn't, so I try to limit what I  bother him with. He is a part of the big decisions, but I keep the mundane details to myself. He knows it will be fabulous when it's all said and done!I would rely on your mom, or best friend, people like that who may be more interested in BM dresses or color schemes...though that probably applies to all brides!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Having graduated law school last year, I wish I could tell you that it will get better as the year goes on, but it probably won't and I just want you to have a heads up.  The first year is almost the most impt year for a law student and he is just figuring out what the heck is going on (my FI barely saw me when I started law school).  Be prepared for him to be less responsive & busier near finals.  Although second semester it might be better since he'll have a better idea of what's going on.  That said, yes, there are others of us who are bearing the brunt of the planning burden.  Like pp, I am finishing up a long distance stint w/ FI and that has meant I've done almost everything by myself.  It's not fun, but c'est la vie...And, to bear it, I guess I suggest deep breathing.  :o/
  • Options
    Genie03Genie03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Dh is not in school, but I'm a stay at home mom and he works as an apprentice lineman for DWP. So it is super hard for him they give him homework on top of the normal 12 hr. day so he leaves at 4:30am dosen't get home till about 6:30pm eats dinner plays with kids for like an hr. takes his shower does homework and goes straight to bed.so we barley have anytime to talk about how my little one is doing in school let alone wedding stuff. Since I am a stay at home mom I always have ideas running thru my head and every chance I get I'm searching the web so all I want to do is share with Dh, but I totally agree with pp about not overloading him on wedding stuff. Dh told me that all I do now is talk about wedding stuff and that he wanted his wife back, I can't argue with him it's partly true. We still have so long to go, but I know it's only going to get more difficult. I think it's a bit easier for us since we already have been married for 6 yrs. and have all that joint account stuff. He goes to work and I mangae bills and expences. So if I know we can afford it. I will mention it to him if he totally disagrees I will let it go, but If he likes the idea I don't mention it again and book it. that's how it's become. later on I will fill him in a bit more and maybe once it gets closer they will be more excited to get there own ideas out there. . Sorry so long and hope it works out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards