California-Los Angeles

Different Bridesmaid dress lenghts help!

Good Morning girls!I need advice for my bridesmaid dresses. My issue is that they all like different lenghts...some want them up to their knees others want them long. I was planning for them to choose their own style as long as they are all the same color. So will it look funny if they choose different lenght dresses? Or should they all compromise on a lenght? TIA

Re: Different Bridesmaid dress lenghts help!

• edited December 2011
    I had one bridesmaid who was very short and small and she was uncomfortable wearing a full length dress like the rest of the girls, so I let her wear a shorter one.  I thought it looked fine.  I let the girls choose from 5 dresses that I picked from the same line, so they all looked a little different. 
  • jenna1984jenna1984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well since i have a very bad case of OCD i would say all one length the only reason i say that is because when you look at the pictures it might look a little different then you wanted it to because the dress lengths are all different. what i am doing is since i am getting married in June i didn't want them to be hot and also since i am wearing a long dress i thought that they shoudl all have tea length dresses, so all the girls dresses are going to be knee length. i like the way it looks since there is a long dress you want to make it look a little different so you have the tea length dress , but like i said i have a very bad case of OCD so everything has to be perfect, LOL.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many girls are you having? I think it will look fine if you have 5 or more, if not I would have them all at the same length (like right at the knee).
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 23sb23sb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would work if there were variations in tea length and knee length. Not so much if some girls had long dresses to their ankles alongside girls with tea and knee lengths. That would be too much of a noticeable contrast.
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's three of my girls in their dresses... if it helps (the two girls in the blue dresses on the far left, the girl catching the bouquet and the one right over my shoulder:
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thankyou ladies for your opinions, its just that FMIL keeps telling me that it's going to look funny if they were all different lenghts. Jagore- I am having 5 bm's but might change to 4.
  • 23sb23sb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's gonna stress you out. Just call the shots. You have enough on your plate to worry about and I know how trying to please bridesmaids and all their different tastes, preferences, and insecurities can drive you mad. That's why we got rid of the whole bridal party altogether. It's really your decision whatever you think looks nice. GL!
  • Vans18Vans18 member
    edited December 2011
    23- I would so love to do that, but fi really wants his guys! He has 7! =(
  • 23sb23sb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no I wasn't suggesting getting rid of them! - Hahaha. I meant tell them what you like/want them to wear
  • Vans18Vans18 member
    edited December 2011
    23- HAHAHAHAHA that was too funny!
  • malibu09bridemalibu09bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This was actually somethig I called the shots on. A few girls muttered about length so I didn't give a choice. I mean, I let them choose from 3 styles by the same designer, but once the dresses arrived I sent them detailed instructions---knee length hitting in the middle of the knee or righ below it. I think if you as for opinion you may open pandora's box.
  • erika13parrerika13parr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Vans I had 5 BM and DH had 7 GM it should not be a problem. Some girls just doubled up. As far as length, I suggest you decide on it. Your already letting them select their dress. I know most of my girls wanted to wear long dresses but, I decided on knee length. It's your wedding, they can choose the length when they get married. good luck!!
  • Vans18Vans18 member
    edited December 2011
  • veevixxnveevixxn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if you are letting them choose their own style, let them also wear a length that suits their height/figure. If they were wearing the same dress, then that would be another story. But since their dresses are all different, save for color, then it would look weird if you dictated length to them. That would defeat the original purpose of letting them choose their own dress to begin with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards