California-Los Angeles

Hotel blocks

I called to get quotes from two hotels and they each asked me the same questions. In the same order.They asked the price point I was looking for. I got an email from the Sheraton and they were all, "Congrats! We can totally give you that price!" Now I'm wishing I aimed a little lower, but it IS $60 less than the price on their website.Should I argue them down more? Have FI call them and pretend to be a new customer? What's the maximum you would pay for a hotel room for an OOT wedding? If you don't mind sharing, how much are your blocked rooms?
my read shelf:
Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
40/112

Photobucket

Re: Hotel blocks

• malibu09bridemalibu09bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We blocked rooms at 2 different hotels. One hotel (in Santa Monica) charged $179/night. The other hotel in Agoura Hills charged $104/night.  I will tell you that 90% of our guests stayed in Agoura Hills. Another thing to look out for....NONE of the hotels we (Marriot and Best Western) required a credit card to block the rooms, but they did send over a contract locking in the rate. Good luck!
  • Mellie35Mellie35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    msmerymac - hi. :) You are getting married at Ramsey's? So are we. Our wedding is in May.   I spoke with the Sheraton at Universal yesterday. I was given a rate of $155.
  • SMHubbardSMHubbard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting a rate which is 20% less than the normal rate. However, I'm slightly annoyed because they are running a special right now for 20% off, so my guests could have gotten the same rate without the block.I personally would have my FI call and see if he could have gotten a better rate, but that's just my passive aggressive nature. I think for the future it's best to start waaay low and then they will tell you what they can do for you.
  • edited December 2011
    FI is in charge of the hotel blocks, and he hasn't taken care if it yet, so I am no help with that. But to answer your questions of what's the max I would pay - In May I went to a wedding in SF and hotel was $150 but it was right by the pier & the wedding rate was a lot lower then any price on the web.
  • meghanerhartmeghanerhart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at a hotel, our blocked rate is $89. Some of my family booked a few months ago, using their AAA and got it for like $80, but if people were to book now, it's almost $120, so they're getting a pretty decent discount.
  • edited December 2011
    Mellie! Hi! Yes, I' just booked Ramsey's a few weeks ago. I was wondering who you were because I saw you had it too. I love being able to have the dining room, patio, and bar. And we've decided to have a ceremony at a chapel inside Forest Lawn, right up the street. It's also pretty cool because I lived in that area when I first moved to LA!The block I was quoted was also at the Universal Sheraton for $150 a night. I just thought it was funny that I told them I was willing to do around $150 and then they basically said, "Um... well we can give you $150! Yay!" I also contacted the Hilton in Universal City, but they haven't gotten back to me. The Sheraton is nice and *I* would pay $150. Not sure if FI's cousins from Iowa would want to, but then, I'll suggest other hotels if they want something cheaper and it IS a good deal for that hotel.Thanks everyone!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Mellie35Mellie35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I called the Hilton, they were not as accomodating. The Sheraton has been really nice. We don't have a super large wedding but they were really willing to work out a deal. I spoke with Esther. And, she has been really helpful.I love Ramsey's. I wish we had found it sooner. We actually cancelled another venue to have our wedding there. I think the space is great and just the vibe we are looking for. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards