California-Los Angeles
Options

LA county marriage license questions

Since I'm sure a lot of you know the answers, I thought i'd ask:

- Is there a place on line I can print out the forms for ease?

- What's the new cost? $95? (I guess some of you wouldn't know this!)

- How long before my wedding can I get the marriage license?

- Do I *have* to go downtown to get this? I live in WeHo and work in Sherman Oaks. I am literally using all the paid time off I have for the wedding and honeymoon. (My company cut my time off and holidays this year, throwing a wrench in my plans.)

We were using an officiant who would get the license for us, but now we're using my coworker to officiate. CAN we send someone to get it? Or can FI go alone? 
my read shelf:
Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
40/112

Photobucket

Re: LA county marriage license questions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You can submit the form online and then it's stored in their computers until you go down.

Not sure of the cost, but it has to be in cash or check (no credit cards). My husband had to run to the ATM!

I believe it's 60 days prior to the wedding. We went about 5 weeks out.

We went to the Van Nuys courthouse. You must both be present to receive the license.
  • Options
    Mellie35Mellie35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We also went to Van Nuys. I would suggest going early, when the lines are shorter.

It cost $90 and it is 90 days.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! How long did it take each of you? Can I have FI meet me and slip over there on my lunch break?

Also, how far in advance SHOULD I get it? Would waiting until 2 days before be a bad idea? Once you apply do you get it right there?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would get it sooner than 2 days ahead, just to be on the safe side, but that's just me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It took us over an hour. The lines are really long. I assume they'd be worse during lunch time too. Maybe you can go in a bit late to work one day and get it first thing in the morning.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went to Van Nuys at 2:00 on a Friday. It took us over 2 hours to get through the line! It was awful. But maybe Friday afternoons are the worst? Either way, I doubt you could get it done at lunch.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_la-county-marriage-license-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:11c93db2-dba1-4bea-96a0-45d861de579bPost:d2c7d9a7-eac0-4e04-b121-ee6f0df4d5b6">Re: LA county marriage license questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]It took us over an hour. The lines are really long. I assume they'd be worse during lunch time too. Maybe you can go in a bit late to work one day and get it first thing in the morning.
    Posted by penaltyshot[/QUOTE]

Ok, I think I'll go with this.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Mellie35Mellie35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went between 9-10 and it took us an hour. My cousin went when they first opened and she said it was about 15 minutes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses! I found the form to fill out online and the address and hours of the Van Nuys court house. And it looks like it's $85 or $90, depending on what marriage license we go with.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards