California-Los Angeles
Options

How long did you have to plan?

We are getting married in two years.

It's a long engagement, but I want everything to be perfect and paid for.

How long generally do most women have to plan?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How long did you have to plan?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I think 2 yrs engagement is GREAT!!!!

We had 18 month engagement (1 1/2 year). I wanted to get married in early 2011 BUT FI refused to wait any longer ( we have been together 6 yrs). He wanted a 2010 wedding so we decided Sept 2010. 

I think longer engagements "are in" people don't want to get loans or use their credit cards. I think most brides want to be cash brides and pay as it comes. 

That is what we are doing and so far it has been a great game plan!Wink
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We will have been engaged for 2 years when we get married in July, and for us, it worked out great.

The idea of planning a wedding when we first got engaged was very daunting to me. Since we had a long time, I was able to be very careful with choosing my vendors, doing research, etc. I got my first choice for every vendor in my price range- the best combo of quality/cost. If we were only engaged for a year, some of them would have already been booked and I would have had to settle for a 2nd or 3rd choice.

It also was good for saving money, like quemiras said. We are paying for 2/3 of it ourselves, and we needed the time to get a budget together.

Good luck planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We have been planning for 11 months.  We got engaged in June 2009 and getting married next month.  Honestly looking back I wish I had another year.  But we have been together for 16 years and I didn't want to wait anymore!  But the more time you have to plan and research the better.  2 years is great.  Take your time with everything before you book anything.  Research and look at venues and dresses, make sure you are really happy.  Once you set your concept, theme, colors - try your best to stick with it (easier said than done for me) and it will make it a lot easier to pick up things as you go.  Because with two years to plan you can totally get some really good deals and bargains.
    GL

My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When we get married in November of this year it will be a month shy of 2 years.   I wanted a fall wedding and since FI proposed on New Years Eve I didn't think that our parents and us could save up enough money to do it in 2009.  So I just pushed it out a year and that has worked out so much better for us.  Like other ladies said it really give you time to research and get the best deal.  GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pulled mine off in 9 months, but I'm a last minute kinda girl :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll have a 13 month engagement. We booked our venue and photographer at 11 months out. Part of me wants time to hurry up because I can't wait for my wedding to get here. Part of me has stressed about getting everything booked. So in the end, I think it's a good amount of time.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Due to various factors, we had a 16 month engagement, and I personally thought it was waaay too long.  10-12 months would have been ideal.  Going into a long engagement, keep in mind that while, yes, you can plan everything, you can also second guess everything and let certain decisions draw out for too long of a time.  Plus, so many things can't be done until close to the wedding, so I ultimately found that having a lot of time didn't make anything any less stressful.  HTH.
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were engaged for 16 months but I didn't start planning until we were engaged for 5 months. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also had a 2 year engagement, and let me tell ya it was great! I started to look into the whole wedding planning immediately but didn't start planning until 10 months before the wedding. That's when I first booked my location. But it was great to have that first extra year to look for a reception location because that's the hardest part.  So i extremely suggest you decide to just start looking and envision how you want your wedding to look like, outside or inside wedding so that you start narrowing down the locations.  Then start going out so that you can pick your place....and from there everything starts rolling! Have fun! GL and congrats.
  • Options
    emilypeachemilypeach member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    for me it'll end up being only 7 months engagement! ah! i feel like its working out though! it depends on your style really.  im really laid back and wants everyting very chill so it helps a lot! in fact i feel like im nearly done!! and my weddings not till august! 

we also talked about our wedding before he proposed so once we got engaged i already knew what we wanted and got right to work.  that helped too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards