California-Los Angeles

Vent: Invite Maps Grrr!

This is going to be a bit long, but I am very frustrated so here goes:

I am kind of behind on sending out the invites.  Reasons are: (1) house-related antics (inspections, pregnant selling agent, loan documents etc.), (2) house-related stress which in turn has caused (3) tension between my FI and me (4) which in turn delayed invites because when I am ticked off at him the last thing I want to do is work on invites.

Now that we got some issues resolved, I am working on these darn things every day I am stuck on the Directions/Maps/ Accomodation for out of town guests.  And I am really on the verge of giving up.

FMIL put a bunch of OOT relatives that we know for certain aren't even showing up for the wedding because FMIL and FFMIL are giving us a second reception in June in Minnesota.  Yet, it would be considered impolite not to send any of these people invitations even though all but two are not showing up(yeah, like a bunch of money lost on postage).

So I am wasting a ton of time working on this stupid insert which is annoying when I'd rather  address them and get them out already, even if they don't have cute little maps in them.

Fact is I already sent out STDs 5 months ago and they all had our wedding website on them with all the information anyone(directions, places to stay, registry information) could ask for about the wedding at their finger tips.  I am on the verge of thinking: "if people aren't going to even bother to look at the freaking website why should I bother to spoon feed them information?" My FMIL thinks it's a good idea to go ahead and ignore ettiquette and mention where we are registered in our invite inserts even if it is a ettiquette gaff, because she thinks alot of people are "older" and aren't into the internet too--so either I am impolite by not giving too much information or I look greedy by putting down where I am registered.

I mean seriously, how idiot proof do I have to make it? And if I have to go out on a limb to make it THAT obvious to people do I really need or want them at my wedding to begin with?

Re: Vent: Invite Maps Grrr!

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Breathe and try to just get through this.  You're almost there and the last couple of months are the most stressful.  

I would suggest ignoring your FMIL advice and not put the registry info in the invites. I would ask her to spread the info word of mouth.  She doesn't seem to have a problem of being blunt so maybe she can lend a hand this way.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

So sorry you are going through this, buying a home is very stressful. You and Fi need to talk it over and work together. I must agree with jagore, do not put your registry information on the invitation. Have people spread the word instead. Maybe if you are having a bridal shower, you can insert the info there...and like that they will already know where you are registered. Other than that...just stick to your plan...finish the map and as soon as you have the invites done, its a relief. You almost got it done, don't quit now.GL

• edited December 2011
    So sorry you are so stressed. I say keep going you are so close to the end.  I say do what is best for YOU! 

As for the registry info, you know your guest the best and really etiquette states you shouldn't but honestly you do what you have to do when it comes down to it.

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I think older people are honestly the most likely to get offended by registry info - since they are likely to be into proper etiquette. They can just ask your FMIL where you are registered, which is traditional.

Can you skip the map part and just do directions? SO many people have GPS or at least google maps. I really don't think maps are necessary.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Update:

Thank you for all the ladies who have provided encouraging words.  On Wednesday after posting I gave up on doing a map(I had one just the layout was starting to get me cross-eyed) and started working on direction cards with hotel information and the wedding website(again) along with phone numbers to contact for "additional details."
    I am taking a quick break from finishing those up, and then the invite suite will be finished aside from being addressed and sent out.

We also had our house inspection yesterday.  The appliances I ordered arrived and were installed without any problems except one little "ding" in our refrigerator panel, so I have to call Maytag and have them come out and replace it.  The inspection reveiled a broken water heater, which the seller has already agreed to repair/replace; we are going to be doing a final walk through Thursday morning and on Friday we close! 

I want to get these invites out by this weekend so I can start painting/decorating as soon as we get the keys!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards