California-Los Angeles

Thoughts on Redondo Beach Historic Library? (& a few others...)

I've looked at the Redondo Beach Historic Library and am pretty much in love.  I'm still in the process of crunching numbers for the guest list and budget, as well as checking out a few other venues, but it's at the top of my list.

I wanted to know whether any of you have any thoughts about the Redondo Beach library, experiences to share (good or bad), weird things I should be aware of, etc.  I have searched for and read the reviews, but it never hurts to have as much information as possible.

A few other places I'm considering and either have visited or will soon:
The Reef restaurant in Long Beach
Strawberry Farms in Irvine
Cannons in Dana Point

Thoughts on these places are welcome as well.  Thank you!

Re: Thoughts on Redondo Beach Historic Library? (& a few others...)

• edited December 2011
    I have also looked there, it's beautiful!  If you don't mind, what is the approximate cost for renting the library? 
  • Melanie2012Melanie2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They start out with a base package for the first 100 guests.  It's $17,000, which covers site rental for 4 hours, hors d'oeuvres, dinner, hosted beer and wine, cake, DJ, valet parking, linens, rehearsal, day-of-event manager... Then for each person over 100 it's something to the tune of $70 per person.  To hold the ceremony there it's an additional $1800.

• akavanaghakavanagh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married there in July. Kathy and Nina have been nothing but gracious and helpful! The only thing I would suggest is if possible, hiring your own DJ. When we met him he seemed a bit hokey and they don't have any reviews on him or videos. I would definitely recommend having your wedding there! However, they book up very fast, especially for the summer. HTH, let me know if you have any other questions!
    Photobucket
  • TeamCCTeamCC member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Went to a wedding at Strawberry Farms... it was GORGEOUS.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, guys!  akavanagh, I was concerned about the DJ thing - I'm going to meet him in a couple of weeks, so I'll see if he rubs me the wrong way.  I thought about having a friend emcee the reception, anyway, so maybe the DJ can just be strictly music.  :-)  I hope your wedding there is wonderful!

• akavanaghakavanagh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely get a feel for him. I had contacted another bride and she did the similar thing, used him for music and her friend for an MC.  She had said that he was good and stuck to their playlist, but wasn't the type of guy to get the party started or keep it going. Enjoy your meeting with "Lance the DJ"
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

We looked at the library and it was our first choice for a while. It's a beautiful location and an all inclusive package, but we couldn't justify the cost for only 4 hours. I believe because of city ordinances you can only add one or two extra hours to your event. Also I was a bit peeved that there was an ADDITIONAL fee to hold the ceremony there. In the end we decided on Calamigos Ranch in Malibu which I think is a better deal for around the same amount of money.

I recently had brunch at The Reef and it's a gorgeous venue! Nearly every room has a great view of the water and downtown LB. I don't know what the wedding situation is, but its nice visually! You should have brunch there to scope it out, there's unlimited champagne!

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input, mellowdee!  I'm with you, I'm having a hard time justifying paying what they're asking for the additional hour or two (but I might end up doing it anyway).  That did throw me off a bit.

I also have to talk to them some more about the valet situation, because the coordinator said something to the effect of, "Your guests can't show up more than 5-10 minutes prior to the actual event start time or else you'll incur additional valet costs," and I'm here thinking it would take an act of God to valet 70 cars a couple blocks away within the span of 10 minutes - especially since the cars would all be lined up on that little access driveway that CIRCLES the ceremony location.  She didn't seem to see the problem when I brought it up.  Maybe I'm the one who's missing something...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards