Just Engaged and Proposals

Summer Wedding Colors/Themes Ideas

So, I got engaged to the love of my life in July! We will be getting married July 24 next year in Pasadena. I have my dress (a beautiful Pronovias off the shoulders gown) and the church booked. I'm still deciding on reception locations but have narrowed it down to three, all beautiful and also in Pasadena. I'm starting to look at possible colors/themes for the wedding and I guess I just can't decide! Should I choose colors based on the season, our interests, the location...do I really need a "theme"? I don't think I want pastels and I don't really like pink. I'm a pretty classic gal but don't want it to look stuffy or too formal. What are some good summery color combinations or themes?

Re: Summer Wedding Colors/Themes Ideas

• Congratulations first of all!  I think that your colors should first and foremost reflect you and FI's tastes and style... BUT I would not get dead set on anything until you pick a venue.  Some venues just lend themselves better to certain feels, and you will be much more flexible.  No "theme" is necessary- it is a wedding, not a kid's party.  You might want to incorporate certain elements throughout for continuity (using a monogram, seashells, etc.).  As far as colors go, I adore the combo of navy and fuschia.  I am not really a pink person, but I think it is so bright and fun!  I also love monochromatic palattes (think all different shades of blue) and a lot of white for the summer.  HTH and good luck!
  • Hi there! I'm also getting married next July (yay!). We are getting married in a beautiful park that was once an amusement park (the old merry go round still works even), so we are going with a carnival theme, although if we were not being married in this venue, I think a  theme is unnecessary unless you want something particular...our colors will be yellow and royal blue (our favorite colors- me yellow, his is blue) to be bright and carnival-like....Congrats on your engagement!
  • No "theme" is necessary- it is a wedding, not a kid's party. Ditto onefish! No theme necessary. I knew I wanted to use ivory for the cake and pink peonies for the flowers. I let the girls pick out a dress. They picked a purple Ann Taylor dress, so I used purple as an accent color for the tables. It doesn't all need to be planned out ahead of time! Sometimes it works just to pick out things you like that look pretty together.Good luck!
  • Congrats on your engagement! I am also recently engaged and thinking about the colors. We are nearly set on red and pale blue for a summer wedding, I think it's a very fresh combo with a nice contrast as well (see link below). And they're also our favorite colors.http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_T2Z9dLlNSkc/SqEmugsFsWI/AAAAAAAACJo/hr1GTsjo-A0/s1600-h/9.4.1.pngBut we're not making a final decision until we choose the venue - some of the venues we've looked at would work really well with that combo, while others would clash with it.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I actually have seen pictures of the navy and fuschia color combo and really love it. It is so bright and classic and perfect for end of the summer. I also love the royal blue and yellow combination. Those have been my favorites so far after looking at many combinations. Although, now seeing the red and blue inspiration board I'm starting to love that too! I love the blue and bright oranage bouqet on that board. So unique! I asked my fiance what his favorite colors are and he said red...and black. Well, those won't be the wedding colors :) At least I feel like I have a good starting point now. Also, slightly off-topic but does anyone find it funny the way wedding colors can't just be called navy or fuschia but "ink" and "ripe raspberry" or some other ridiculous name? I suppose it's to be more specific about colors but I still find it slightly amusing.
  • Hi, We are also getting married in the summer - August 2010. The ceremony will be in the church and reception on a golf course. With all the green around, I am ditching my favorite color - purple - for a more agressive rasberry. All of my bride's maids look fabulous in strong colors, and they already approved it as well. I love strong contrasts and accents and with all the green around, a good dose of rasberry may look good - or so I hope :) Congratulations! Ela
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards