Just Engaged and Proposals

Is it too early to plan?

I just got engaged on October 8, 2009. We are waiting to get married in the Spring of 2011, because I am in nursing school. Is it too early to start planning? I am so busy with school and will be that way until graduation (August 2011) and I thought it would be a good idea to start planning early. Some people say I am planning too early. What do you think?

Re: Is it too early to plan?

• Go for it! It is never too early. You can even shop around and sign a contract for 2009 prices. I just started looking but I haven't began to plan yet only because I haven't decided on a budget.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you're like me and every little decision takes 6 months to make, I would start now.. We got engaged in July and are not getting married until February 20, 2011, but I'm using the time to do tons of research, which will help with getting what I want for a minimal budget.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got engaged in Dec 08 and our wedding is July 10. We started planning right away and booked with vendors that allowed us to book early. Some vendors wont allow you to officially book until your a year out from your date, but will often times hold the date for you. If you absolutely have to have a specific vendor then contact them to find out when you can book. Some vendors can book up months to years in advance, especially if its a very popular date. Also prices can increase the longer you take to book. Our photographer went up $800, our DJ $200, etc.... but because we booked early we missed out on these price increases.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • Plan away...You have the amazing opportunity to take your time and don't have to cram. It's more relaxed :) There is no such thing as early when it comes to a wedding, plus you will have the most options when it comes to a place, get better deals, and by the time you are in your last semester of nursing, you will have nothing to do, except enjoy the break before your wedding :) Congratulations on Nursing school, despite what they say we are still in a huge shortage. From one nurse to another.....yay!!
  • I don't think thats early at all. I would say the typical amount of time to plan takes about a year in a half because you don't want to stress about rushing. Just be careful about making decisions that you may change your mind on. I know I change my mind alot, so I am not picking my colors and decor yet, just the venue, date, videographer, etc. things like that. Happy planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just be careful when booking so early to take a really good look at your contracts.  They'll list the price for now, and they can include the phrase that prices are subject to change.  I've actually seen a couple of posts with these problems.  So that great price you get now may not be so great when 2011 comes around.
  • I say go for it!  I'm in the same situation.  I got engaged on Valentines Day 2009 and our wedding isn't until spring of 2011 also and I'm a student.  I haven't actually started planning, but I'm getting all my ideas together so it will be a lot easier planning and finishing school.  I think the earlier, the better so you don't have to worry about it and end up not having enough time to get everything perfect!
  • It's definitely not to early to start planning, especially if you start with the basics like budget, guest list, overall vision. These articles might help you.http://www.soulfulengagements.com/1/category/getting%20started/1.html
  • Absolutely never too early to plan a wedding, I was pre-planning before I was enaged :-) because we would talk about it. I got officially engaged just recently November 14, 2009 and I am soo happy, have already officially started to inquire about costs for our date so that you do have more options open to you. I am also a Spring Bride, April 16th 2011, here we come!!
  • edited November 2009
    I am happy to see that my fiance and I aren't the only ones who are taking the "long engagement" route.. We just got engaged on November 6, 2009. But he is a full time student and would prefer to finish school before we are wed. We also both still live with our own parents. I would love to see us moving in together the spring of 2010 and then getting married the spring of 2011. As of yet we have not set a budget nor an official date. Three of my close friends have gotten married in the past year and it has truly fueled my desire to plan plan plan. I think the hardest part for me is the wait... I am so anxious to make thing happen. I am one of those people thats likes everything to be neat and orderly. And I can't get him to commit to any date I throw out there. I am a little frustrated that I can't seem to get him to even say that he wants to move in with me in the next year. I'm learning very quickly to be patient.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards