Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Engagement Ring

I just recently got engaged (9 days ago). The ring I received is palladium, which the jeweler told us was the best choice because it is harder than white gold and won't scratch as easy.I had the ring resized last Tuesday and got it back on Wednesday. Since Wednesday, multiple scratches have appeared. I work in an office and do not do manual labor. I find it hard to believe that this good of a metal is scratching this easily in less than a week.Does anyone have experience with this? Or have any suggestions as what we could ask of the jeweler?? I am very unhappy with the "quality" and am worried that if this problem has already occurred within a week of getting this ring, how bad is it going to be years from now.

Re: Engagement Ring

• Options
    I was told by the jeweler I went to that palladium is softer than white gold and that it scratches easier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Palladium & Platinum are harder than gold or white gold, but they can show more scratches. This is b/c Palladium & Platinum doesn't chip but instead changes form, where gold wears away. So the scratches on your ring isn't a spot where the Palladium was scratched away, but pushed down & up. You can polish the scratches away. 

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    Darn no edit button. Just wanted to add...Also if you have a very high polish on the ring, the scratches will be more noticeable b/c of the contrast.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    yes, platinum scratches easier although it is a more solid metal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    monawemonawe member
    First Comment
    edited November 2009

There are so many options from diamond rings, platinum, gold, silver or modern alternative metals such as stainless steel, tungsten carbide, and titanium rings.

Your wedding band or engagement rings should provide you with the comfort, quality, elegance and style that you want. Consider looking at many different varieties. Jewelers have always been trying to produce more and more attractive and durable rings in terms of design and look.

Many couples search for modern alternative metals because of the metal’s durability and trendy look, tungsten carbide rings or titanium women’s wedding bands are quickly gaining popularity.

http://monawe.com/engagement-and-wedding-rings.php

• Options
    My ring is platinum and it scratches on the underside, but I don't really care, as long as the part people can see doesn't scratch. I will get it polished periodically.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    palladium can scratch very easily and also develops a patina over time. patina can develop on palladium rings after as little as 20 years, and makes the ring look dull and kind of dirty, and it cant be polished off. palladium is about 10% harder than platinum, but i dont think it resists scratches any better.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards