Just Engaged and Proposals

Where did you get your rings and where should we avoid?

Hey all, I just got engaged and we haven't gotten a ring yet, but I have no clue where to start!

Where did everyone get your rings and where should I avoid?
* The soon to be Mrs. Christie *

Re: Where did you get your rings and where should we avoid?

• I've heard a couple of ladies here had really bad experiences with Kay jewelers.  My two cents are you go to places that have good recommendations from people you trust or that have good standing with the Better Business Bureau.  Robbins Brothers in my opinion is over priced and they filed for bankruptcy last year so not sure how long they will be around if you decide to purchase their warrenty from them.  My ring is coming from a local small jewler that had really good independant reviews and that I had a good vibe with.  He made me feel comfortable doing business with him.  Just take the time to shop around and visit as many shops as you want to get a feel.  I'm sure other ladies will pop in to tel you other opinions. 

Oh so I'm a lurker, not offically engaged yet so that's why I don't post here.  I just wanted to share my opinion with the OP.  Thanks!  Will formally introduce myself when I'm engaged... if I ever get there. 
  • I got mine from Reeds Jenss Jewelers and had a great experience but I don't think they have stores in the DC area. I would definitely avoid Kay's, they were ridiculously pushy, and it's not just the one I went to, I have two friends that went to different Kay's and they both had really bad experiences there as well. Zales I think is also pretty good, my father got my mother's replacement set there and they were very helpful.
  • Thank you both so much. Found the one I want, now we just need to find it or have it made :)

* The soon to be Mrs. Christie *
  • I personally had a terrible experience over a bracelet at Kay Jewlers.  I have sworn never to give them another dime. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2010
    We got our rings from Robbins Bros. but I don't think there's one in the DC area.  You should ask your local board where they would recommend.  A lot of ladies on the LA board recommend a few local jewelers that have great prices and excellent quality.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My H got my e-ring at a local jewerly store in Ohio that has several locations in the central Ohio area. They are not a chain at all. We got our wedding bands at Jared's and both of us were really happy with the service we received and everything. We would have purchased the bands at the store where he got the e-ring but we moved out of state in the meantime.
  • Definately go to a local shop instead of a chain. Much better service and knowledge so you make the best selection. Congratulations
  • FI got my ring at Diamonds International and I have no complaints.

A friend of mine got her rings at Kays...and it was a horrible experience.  They also ripped her off on her wedding band.
  • When e went shopping I HATED Zales, they were really pushy, all the lady was talking about were the special papers that came with the "one of a kind"  ring that she was showing us.  She was so cought up in all that I felt that she was just trying to make a sal and was not too concerned about what we wanted. 

We then went to a local jewler and I was shocked with the way we were treated, The lady was so nice, compassionate and we will for sure be going there to get our wedding bands.  So if you can find one, go to someone local and avoid the chains for sure. 

Good luck, and trust me if you are shopping with your FI, you will know when you put the right ring on, you will get chills and know it is the one!!!!!

• We went with a local jeweler and it was the best decision that we made. They were so helpful and gave us so many options. It was also nice because I wanted sapphires in my ring and they have a lot more options for gemstones than a normal jewelry store does.

We looked at rings at a lot of other stores in the malls in the area and they were either not helpful or didn't have what we wanted. I had a horrible experience at Jarreds too.
  • FI purchased my ring at a local Jewelry store, in walking distance- it's not a chain. Overall, it was a good experience.
    I have a friend who's husband got hers from the website bluenile and they were raving at how happy they were, and how great the service was.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My fiancee' had my two carat ring made. It is heart shaped. I have a matching wedding band. It is more sentimental.
  • Also, if you go the small shop or customization route, don't be afraid to go into a consultation and walk away.  They aren't generally pushy, but we went in for a few consultations and their prices varied widely.  Do your research ahead of time and know what is realistic for your expectations.
  • My friend got her wedding band at Kay and had alot of trouble with the accent diamonds falling out.  I think she's on her 3rd replacement ring from them.  I will say that, they have gone out of their way to replace her ring every time a diamond fell out. 

My fiance had my engagement ring made by a local jewler and I love it.  My wedding band I actually got from Overstock.  It was a really good deal and their return policy is actually really good if you have any problems.
  • Our rings have all come from our local Reeds, which is a chain, but we have worked with the same salesman and he has been beyond stellar.  Everyone else working there has been great, too.  When FI went to go pick up his band after it came in (had to be custom cast because the Tungston isn't normally kept in store in his size), there was no one in the store and one of the salesgirls offered to let me try on rings that cost more than my car is worth just for the heck of it.  No pressure, just girly dress up time.  It was fun!
    Anniversary

PersonalMilestone

Dancin' Shoes
  • I would definitely say find a good local jeweler! I didn't get any bands at ours but they custom-fixed a bracelet that other jewelers refused to work on for me. And so cheap! That's the good thing about non-chain stores.

I got my wedding band at Kay. Normally I hate these places but I looked online and knew what I wanted. The guy wasn't terribly pushy but it's also probably because I look young and without money Wink Other than that, they were nice and let me look at basically everything.

Good luck!
  • I agree with PP's. We got my set and his band at a local store as well. Sounds kind of "cheesy" but we went in there several times and worked with the same lady. By the time I left (not knowing he had BOUGHT it) she had figured out exactly what I wanted just based on what I looked at and ooohed and aaahed over - LOVED it!

I definitely recommend avoiding the "bigger" stores just because it's more personal at a smaller place, you can go in and see the same person and they understand what YOU want, even if you don't.

I thought I wanted a three-diamond past, present, future - and I have an adorable square kind of vintage e ring. :) Have fun looking around - your FH will have fun watching your face light up - mine did. Good luck!
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know alot of people that had bad times with Kay - I say steer clear! When we just peaked in there to look at wedding bands they were very very rude to us.
    We got his wedding band at Belden - BIG mistake too. Ugh! The problems from that place, so I'd say skip there too.
    I got my wedding band from Littman - GOOD experience.
    Husband got my engagement ring from Van Scoy Jewelers - good experience, just expensive.
    (I am from PA)
    Anniversary
  • My fiance, Mitch, is set to deploy soon and he has very little time to save up for a ring. We would like to set the date before he leaves, but there is no way he can afford a ring right now! Please vote for us to receive a free engagement ring from Simon G. It only takes a minute! Mitch really wants a wedding when he returns, and we are more than ready to tie the knot!!!

Our dream is just a click away!

http://www.simongjewelry.com/sweepstakes/151/

Thanks!
    <3 Hannah
  • We got my e-ring from Tiffany & Co; they are great. My friend had some trouble with Kay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards