Just Engaged and Proposals

Ring Woes

My FI gave me the perfect princess cut solitaire after proposing at the restaurant we had our first date at.  About 2 weeks ago I noticed that the diamond was loose in the setting.  I took it back to the store and the sales man, not the jeweler, "repaired" it for me.  Under the bright lights at the store it looked fine and the diamond was tight so we headed home.  The next day I noticed the diamond was loose again and the prongs were bent.  The prongs were a v shape on all four corners and now two of them are rounded.  I think I'm going to have to get a new setting.  I'm just bummed I've been engaged since 2/27/10 and between resizing and the diamond being loose, I have only been able to wear my ring for about a week.  I just hope getting it fixed won't be a major battle with the store.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ring Woes

• awww, wear a diff ring on that finger in the mean time.  i had to do that too, it does kinda suck
  • Depending on your setting the jeweler might be able to just replace the head of your ring.  I would call in ahead and plan on going when they are available so you could possibly get it back that day!  Good luck and keep us posted!
  • klsnyder84klsnyder84 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010

Thanks everyone! We are headed up there today to get it fixed and order my wedding band!  I just hope that if they need to keep it we can get it back before Easter weekend. We are headed up to DE to see his Mom and she hasn't seen the ring in person yet.

Just so everyone has an idea, here is the ring:

FI took the picture. It's nice having a professional photographer in the house. Especially one that knows photoshop, I always look great in pictures. Laughing

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey, just wanted to say that you can ask your jeweler for a "loaner" ring while yours is being repaired -most jewelers are sensitive to the newly engaged and will hook you up with a comparable ring to wear in the meantime.  Good luck!
  • Not wearing your ring does suck! Thankfully for me, my FI had given me a ring on our one year anniversary that is absolutely beautiful - that does as a substitute for now : )
  • I agree about the loaner ring. We are just engaged but when we ordered my wedding band they gave me a loaner band until mine came in. I thought that was a nice touch even though I wouldn't be wearing it as the wedding date isn't here yet.
  • I see you are in NC.  I have a dear friend who is a reputable jeweler in Charlotte who would do wonders on your ring if you still need it.  He is not at all expensive.  He added stones to the band in my ring and is making my wedding band for me.  Let me know.  I am thrilled to give him the business.  He does great work and he is fast.
  • Aw, you got engaged on the same day as me :)  I don't have any advice about the ring, but I hope everything works out- the picture is beautiful!
  • i had actually been very loyal to one jeweler for several years, bought all of my jewelry there, and when i got engaged i went in to have my VERY antique ring sized and appraised.  i asked when the sales man thought i might get it back as we'd only been engaged a short time, and he basically said honey, you better get used to being without it sometimes....i now shop elsehwere.

i'm very glad to hear other brides to be are having good experiences and i can certainly relate to not having your ring for a little bit!  good luck!
  •  I understand not wanting to give your ring to the jeweler for a while! I still haven't gotten my ring re-sized and we got engaged in December. I really need to and I think I am finally ready but in the beginning it was way too hard! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards