Just Engaged and Proposals

Your opinion of this ring

I bought this engagement ring after having a jeweler verify that the diamond and gold are real. It seemed to be what I wanted: a simple solitaire diamond ring. It is white gold with a .64 carat diamond. But sometimes when I look at it I think it looks cheap because the band is so thin, even though I don't know much of anything about rings. So what do you think? Will my girlfriend be happy with this ring? Should I get engaged now or sell this ring and get engaged in a few months? Thanks for your help.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/6007/delete010.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img715/6926/delete013.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img706/8100/delete015.jpg

Re: Your opinion of this ring

• Have you taken it in to have it cleaned and polished yet?  The metal is looking a little worn, but that happens with all rings.  Any jeweler should be able to make it look brand newfor pretty cheap.

Otherwise, it just looks like a nice, simple engagement ring.  Does that match your GF's taste?
  • It's beautiful! It just needs to be cleaned and probably replated, and it'll look perfect.
  • A thin band doesn't make it look cheap :) 
    My ring is from Tiffany & Co. and is the tiniest band I was able to find (I don't like thick bands). It certainly doesn't look cheap, nor was it!
    That's a BEAUTIFUL ring. She will love it because it's from you :) 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_your-opinion-of-this-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:368d2919-11e3-4439-82c8-5e934e8840d2Post:6e41427a-3ba9-4b2a-9d7c-23238d8f6dbc">Re: Your opinion of this ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]None of us can answer if your girlfriend will be happy with that ring, because none of us is your girlfriend.   That is almost exactly my e-ring, except that mine is white gold with a princess cut and the diamond is a little bit smaller.  It's perfect for me, EXACTLY what I wanted and I love it.  But <strong>I've had multiple women flat out ask me if I was disappointed with such a small, plain ring.</strong>  Obviously, if their boyfriends had proposed with it, they would not have been happy whereas I was thrilled.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>Rude of them...</div>
  • That's very similar to my ring as well, a solitaire with a thin band (it is a 100-year-old family heirloom), mine just has six prongs instead of four and is yellow gold. Yours looks great: like others have said maybe it just needs a bit of polishing if you're worried about how "old" it looks. Have you asked your girlfriend what style ring she wants?
  • I have a thinner band as well and I love it. When designing wedding ring I found it much more comfortable since the entire top portion of my finger wasn't taken up by rings. 

Ditto pps though, definitely get a jeweller to buff and polish that sucker up.
    Anniversary
  • The ring itself looks nice (Aside from just needing to be cleaned up a bit). It's not really my style, but the thing is, I'm not your girlfriend, so it doesn't matter what I think of the ring.

Have you talked about rings with her? Do you know what kind of style ring she would like? Does she like solitaires? Does she like high settings? Does she like round cut? If you can say "yes" to all of the above, then it's a great ring for her. If you can't, then you should keep looking until you find something that she will like.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Thank you everyone for your responses.  I feel much better about the ring now.    She does like solitaires and round diamonds so hopefully she likes this one.  I may need to get this resized so I will definitely get it replated when I do so it is looking its best.  Thanks again.
  • It looks a LOT like mine, except mine has the 6 prong setting. The good thing about this ring also, is that you can do a multitude of different wedding bands when the time comes.
    Love it!
  • As others have mentioned, all that matters is if the diamond i sin good shape. If she wants a new band, you can easily transfer the diamond to a new band. That's not a problem at all! 
  • What's nice about a thin band is that, when you add the wedding band beside it, the two rings together don't take over your hand. Some people are also adding a third band to the other side at the one-year anniversary. Mine is also thin and I love it.

Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards