Just Engaged and Proposals

Need opinions: Reusing engagement ring as wedding band?

All, I have a question about rings and need LOTS of opinions... My boyfriend and I are discussing engagement rings, and he was under the impression that the engagement ring is just taken off during the ceremony and reused as the wedding band... I assured him while anyone can do what makes them happy, that is NOT the way 90% of couples do it,,, there is an engagement ring AND wedding band, or just the wedding band... Now my boyfriend is a worldly, intelligent, far from naive guy, but he seems to feel everyone he knows does it this way...(They dont, I think he sees womens rings fused together, and assumes they are one?)

Time to straighten him out ladies! In this country anyway, wouldnt most of us brides not be ok with reusing the engagement ring as a  wedding band? Or am I wrong? (Lol... I KNOW that Im not!) Would love to hear your opinions!

Re: Need opinions: Reusing engagement ring as wedding band?

• And I wanted to disclaim... I do realize that everyone should be able to do with their wedding what they feel is right for them, and I support that... Just looking for opinions on what the majority does! Thanks everyone!
  • I'm fine with reusing it, and that's likely what I'll be doing. I HATE jewelry and it'll already be a stretch to wear one ring, let alone two. If all else fails, I have our first engagement ring (um... ha) and would have to get it sized down to use/wear it.

It's more about what you and your fiance decide, I'd think. Forget other people and their opinions.
    June 2013 Signature Challenge
    Favorite Sports Team
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I will have 2 rings - engagement and wedding. It's a personal choice. Maybe it's a cultural thing for him?
    Anniversary
  • Tell your fiance he's lucky to be marrying at a time when only two rings are expected. There was a time several years ago when it was fashionable to wear three rings. There was the engagement ring, of course, and then there were TWO wedding bands that went on either side of the engagement ring.

I'm certain this was a trend that was introduced by the jewelry industry. These same fine people decided more recently that they'd make a whole marketing campaign around "Right Hand Rings", which in previous years had been known as simply rings.
  • I've never heard of 'reusing' the engagement ring as the wedding band.  I have noticed that some women only wear the wedding band once they are married.
  • It is most common among those I know to get a separate engagement ring and then wedding band.  However, it is really up to your taste and budget.  Not everyone wants or likes the two fused ring look.  Some people like that and go for the third ring (a band to match their wedding band) on their 1st anniversary.  

You both need to stop worrying about what everyone else does, or what you should do, and just discuss your own tastes and preferences.  I have a nontraditional ring.  It is a moissanite center stone with purple sapphire side stones.  I don't personally know anyone who has a ring like that, but suits me.  :)

• I will have two rings. My wedding band will come from the jewler that made my e-ring. They will be a set. My ering is unusual as it is two dragonflies holding the center stone. The dragonfly bodies are diamonds. The wedding band is done as segments of dragonfly bodies and will have diamonds and sapphires the color of the center stone on top to match the existing ring.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • I have two rings. A round solitaire, and then my wedding band is vintage with tiny diamonds on the band. They weren't sold as a set, I just love them together.
  • My boyfriend didn't realize it was 2 rings, either, but once I mentioned it to him, he said that it makes sense, and we'd get a wedding band for me, as well. But I told him that I had no problem using my engagement ring as a wedding band, either, simply for cost sake. Yes, I would like a wedding band, but for the time being, I'd be OK with just the one, and we can add a wedding band maybe on our anniversary, or something like that instead. But he's refusing now that he realizes that "typically" it's two rings.
  • I also have my engagement ring and 2 matching bands. I have heard of some people only using their e-ring as a wedding band but I always feel like it looks like I'm not married. I don't think you could get me to give up my e-ring if you tried lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_need-opinions-reusing-engagement-ring-as-wedding-band?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:4b59c4a1-3a04-44a2-b76d-c9a24410339bPost:04c129a7-519a-4c37-9bf0-7ef4c71a83e3">Re: Need opinions: Reusing engagement ring as wedding band?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will have two rings. My wedding band will come from the jewler that made my e-ring. They will be a set. My ering is unusual as it is two dragonflies holding the center stone. The dragonfly bodies are diamonds. The wedding band is done as segments of dragonfly bodies and will have diamonds and sapphires the color of the center stone on top to match the existing ring.
    Posted by dewingedpixie[/QUOTE]

Wow!! What a gorgeous and unique design!

My engagement ring is a simple, three stone with hearts on the sides! I love it! I'm thinking I will get a plain band or maybe a band with more hearts to match, but nothing elaborate for now. I might upgrade to a diamond/sapphire band on an anniversary, but pinching pennies is more important right now! Haha.

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The ONLY reason I have a wedding band, is for when we do outdoorsy stuff that makes me not want to walk around with a diamond (backpacking, hiking, gardening, skiing, etc). 
    H wanted our wedding bands to match, so that was a perfect middle ground. 
    My e-ring is my wedding ring. I see no issue with it that way. 
    You don't NEED a new ring, you just want one. Let's be honest. 
  • I have my e-ring and it came as a set with a wedding band. I'm wearing my e-ring now and when we get married will wear both the e-ring w/ the band.  I thought about fusing them together as one unit after the wedding, but can't decide!  I like the option of having it separate in case I'm doing something where it gets in the way (we own an auto shop so I sometimes have to take the ring off when around cars and fluids and stuff). But I love my e-ring and the way it looks with the wedding band, <3

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_need-opinions-reusing-engagement-ring-as-wedding-band?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:4b59c4a1-3a04-44a2-b76d-c9a24410339bPost:71df0b7b-2ff1-4a28-ac0b-7f7f9516989e">Re: Need opinions: Reusing engagement ring as wedding band?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need opinions: Reusing engagement ring as wedding band? : Wow!! What a gorgeous and unique design! My engagement ring is a simple, three stone with hearts on the sides! I love it! I'm thinking I will get a plain band or maybe a band with more hearts to match, but nothing elaborate for now. I might upgrade to a diamond/sapphire band on an anniversary, but pinching pennies is more important right now! Haha.
    Posted by lcatterton[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I always loved the setting, but I also have a special attachment to both dragonflies and butterflies since my grandmother's death. My fiance also really loved dragonflies and we wanted something that celebrated us that was different :).

I really love hearts by the way. A well cut heart stone is something I considered as well. I have a really beautiful heart cut cobalt spinel I want to eventually set into a pendant.

Have you looked at amazon or overstock? You can get good deals on bands there and maybe able to get something with diamonds and/or sapphires there for a good price.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • I suggest taking your man into a jewelry store and browsing the bridal sets so that he kind of gets the idea that a set is standard. Plus then you can point out things you like and he can ask questions a jeweler can answer :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • At first, I was planning on just using my engagement ring as my wedding band as well, simply because I love the ring and FI and I don't have money for the type of wedding band I wanted. I was totally okay with that, however, I have found an affordable band that I love and so now I have two rings, albeit they will not go together, so I'll end up wearing my wedding band alone most of the time. I think it's up to you what you really want. There are circumstances and preferences that lead to the use of just one, but yes, you are right--most people choose two!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards