Just Engaged and Proposals

How did you say "Yes" to your groom?

I am pretty sure a proposal is coming!  My boyfriend and I have planned a very special weekend, and some little things make me think it's more special than I'm supposed to realize :)

I'm really interested in finding out how other ladies said yes to their fiances' special proposals.  I promise I will come back and share my story once I have one!

Re: How did you say "Yes" to your groom?

• For my birthday my FI took me on a surprise trip to Napa, the first night after we arrived he took me to The French Laundry and (in between the second and third dessert corse) the Matre D brought out a silver platter, ontop was a silver canister with a Tiffany's bag inside! I opened it up and was in complete shock, all I could say was "Really?! Really?! Really!?" and started crying followed by hyperventalating! It was the most amazing night of my life!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly, OP - you are going to do what is natural for you in the situation.  Unlike so many ladies here, I didn't cry and I didn't get choked up. Instead I did what I do when big things happen: I got nervous.

I'm sure my fiance didn't plan what he was going to say (or maybe he did and the moment was too overwhelming to remember) and I certainly didn't choreograph a response.  The words just came out.

Don't over think it and just enjoy the moment!
  • Marc had been planning this for months. He was sick on my birthday in July, so January 24 (my half birthday) he threw me a surprise party with almost 200 people. A friend works at Wrigley Field and gave us a tour, little did I know then REAL plan. We went out on the field and he proposed to me on home plate. Then he took me to my party and I surprised them. He wanted to make sure I had a story to tell forever.
  • I was completely surprised by everything!
    He was down on his knee, and I couldn't take just standing there looking down at him talking. So I sat down, threw my arms around him, kissed him. And he asked me to let him finish his "speech?", I kissed him some more and said YESSSSSSSSSS!!!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • To be honest, I barely remember anything! But according to him, I stared at him for a long time in shock, took the ring said "oh my god" several times, until he finally, still down on his knee, said "say something"... at which point I remember thinking to myself "didn't I already say yes??" because I was so shocked I was totally out of it! When he said that though, then I said "YES!!!"  But he loves to tell everyone how I left him on his knee for five minutes just staring at him :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_did-say-yes-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:57bf51ab-48be-4130-a275-7af29854727aPost:6b0ec13c-5992-4439-8dcb-c997ee7d0cf5">Re: How did you say "Yes" to your groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I picked out my finger and had an idea of when FI picked it up.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

this made me laugh!
  • After being SO shocked because I had no idea and crying because I was so happy, I finally said Yes Yes of Course!!!!
    Anniversary
  • well, I am very hard to surprise, FI proposed in the middle of Rockefeller Center 4 days before this Christmas.  We go in every year for Christmas to celebrate as we both want to have and create our own traditions.  I LOOVE CHRISTMAS and NYC, so :)

He told me that we could do anything all day, just that we were going to go ice skating at 5ish and then we had a dinner reservation nearby at 6:30, so that was our only schedule.  For us, normally we wing dinner in NYC after saying we will plan (he never had a proper coat with a zipper and always wore a sweatshirt---we never could go anywhere nice therefore...) so he had dressed nicely and even let me pick out his outfit so that we were ok for a nicer dinner.  (all part of his camoflauge...)

After 10 mins of secretness at Rockefeller center and trying to find the office for skating--he revealed he had "2 military ID passes" to bypass the line and complementary skate---so after being suspicious because he was running around quietly trying to find it, now I thought NOTHING was up. 

Skating for the session I kept asking to take our pic, but he said there were too many skaters in the way, so we'd take it later, and of course I love photos so I said fine. 

Well, the ice cleared and I tried to rush him to go because they were kicking ppl off, and they needed to zamboni the ice....well we took our picture with the skate attendant manning the camera in front of the tree...then the christmas carols stopped and our song came on...and my jaw immeadiately dropped because that is his ringtone on my phone.  He said what are the odds of that... Immeadiately I was shaking as he led me center ice and I could not stop shaking and now crying...He got down on one knee and said what he felt/what he could manage to say as he was crying.  "Kelly, I love you, Will you marry me?"  I said "YESSS!" (through tears--I am not a cryer with these types of things--until now, now I can't stop at mushy stuff) And kissed him while on his knee and couldnt stop kissing him, trembling, and crying.....

we then got to skate a victory lap but we really couldnt get far because I kept stopping and saying OMG, OMG! and kissing him. 

Don't script it---I always thought i would say yes, put the ring on and kiss him....I had to say "ok" when he asked after kissing him if he could put it on now :) enjoy the moment---and I looked at his face---enstill that image in ur mind! it is and will be priceless!

• omg it was shocking, I didn't expect a proposal, and I thought I heard wrong! He was very nervous as well and he kind of asked under his breath, so I wasn't sure it was a proposal until I saw the bling!
    I replied "Of course I will!" and I kissed him! Then I put on my ring. I still smile thinking about it!
  • Well, he did propose on Saturday, on Cumberland Island! He put the ring in the bagged lunch we had from our B&B, and said he wanted me to spend the rest of my life with him.  I said of course, and cried, and then he asked if I would marry him and I said yes yes yes.

It was fantastic :)
  • One lesson I learned is that everything you think you will say, do, react...you won't. So don't even think about it..seriously. I've had all these visions in my mind for 3 years of how I would react (even practiced the surprised face in the mirror..i know, sad) and when it happened,  I didn't cry the way I thought I would, I didn't scream in surprise. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it all all so I think I had a confused look on my face at first like wtf until I understood what was going on, then I eventually said yes.

Point is, don't overthink it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had always thought I'd come up with some smart aleck answer like "let me think about it" but when he proposed my mind seriously went blank and just stopped working.  I hugged him and wouldn't let go until he asked me again and I realized I hadn't given him an answer yet. :)  Then I said YES!!!
  • All I could do was smile and nod at the time. It wasn't until 20 hours later that I formally told him "Yes, I will marry you."
  • As soon as he opened the box and before he finished asking me between sobs I said Yeahhh! (like of course look at this rock) Our family members started laughing!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards