Florida-North Florida

How much should you tip your vendors and when?

Hi girls, My wedding is Dec 12, so it's getting close.... and we are in a budget....and i think we've already past the budget...lol Yesterday we were talking in the car and we were clueless on how much we should give to the vendors, and which ones? I'll put a list of my vendors so you can give me your feedback....please help me on this one. *WEDDING PLANNER AT THE VENUE (The venue is costing us between $3,000-5,000 depending on who RSVP) *DJ (It costs us $400) *Photographer (It costs us $1,800) *Make Up Artist (It costs us $75) *Hair Girl (It cost us $250 for me, my daugther and my mom) *FLower women (It costs us $250 for my bouquet, boutineres, and bridesmaids bouquet flowers) And maybe I'm wrong with this after the reaction I got from my FI... I was telling him that since we have a lot of reward in our credit card, then we could reedeemed some $25 gift cards and put them in a envelope for them. Is it too cheap to do that? Am i that wrong? I mean you are already paying for ther services and they will get paid to do their job...why should i give them too much money???? Thanks girls!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much should you tip your vendors and when?

• brittjoy84brittjoy84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is customary to tip for services. The general rule of thumb is to tip for a service but not if they own their own business. *WEDDING PLANNER AT THE VENUE No tip, if she goes above and beyond you can do the gift card*DJ Tip 20% unless he owns the business *Photographer I'm not tipping mine but I do plan on getting her a small gift like a gift card because I really like her. *Make Up Artist Tip 20%*Hair Girl Tip 20% *Flower women No tip, I don't see this as a service, you are paying for goods. Some people might tip the person that delivers.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only person I tipped was the DJs because they didn't own their own business. Everyone else was the owner so they received 100% of what I paid them. We tipped the DJs (2 of them) $75 each.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's what I'm doing: DJ -- No tip because he owns the business Photographer -- Again, no tip because she owns the business Make-up Artist -- Probably about $5 Hair Stylist -- Again, probably around $5 Florist -- No tip. She owns her business, but I also don't think of what she's doing as a service.
  • katiek200katiek200 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't planning on tipping anyone. All my vendors (DJ, Makeup, Hair, Photography, Cake) own their own business. Sweetwater Inn has the 21% service charge. Hopefully this will be okay!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not going to be tipping as well.HAIR- My BM will be doing my hair but she's getting several different gifts (1 for being my BM and 1 for doing my hair)Make-up Artist- MOH will be doing this and she will get several gifts as well.Photographer- No tips. Owns his own business. Second Shooter is the Co-Owner.Florist / Baker - Own their own business (Husband and wife team)We won't have a DJ. A friend will be controlling the Laptop w/ the songs on it. (He will also get a gift)Caterer - Outside Caterer. They will be delivering and setting up (Owner will be setting up but he's bringing an employee to help, how do we tip them without tipping the owner?)Oh I lied- We will also be tipping the Bartender.
  • jodipplsjodippls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty much following the same rules above. My MUA and hairstylist are independant stylist that work in a salon. I'll probably tip $5-10 each if the service is great. My DJ owns his biz and my photogs are family friends, their service is a gift to us. I might get them a small gift for thanks.
  • dianadvargasdianadvargas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you very much girls....I knew i wasn't that wrong about not tipping.My phothographer, my dj, my hair and make up artist all have their own business....AHHHH   i feel relieve!!!!Thanks!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards