Illinois-Chicago
Options

plus size wedding dresses

Ok so...I'm a plus size girl (22/24) I am absolutey in a painc about finding a dress. I live in the south burbs so of course going to David's Bridal, House of Brides and Eva's. Can anyone give me some words of wisdom and/or advise how to go about this. Wedding date is 09-10-11 so i have time to look and slim down too. I've been reading way too many horror stories about girls not even being able to try on a sample and feeling disrespected by the peolpe who work at some bridal shops because of their size etc. Please offer me some adive asap

Re: plus size wedding dresses

• Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    also look at Here Comes The Bride in Addison...they have plus size dresses and are REALLY helpful. My dress is from there and was cheaper than the stuff I kinda liked at Davids.
  • Options
    kag0215kag0215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First off breathe! I understand what you're going through. I'm a 20W in dresses 22 in pants. Although you'll hear from a lot of skinnier brides that David's Bridal is hit or miss. I love the place. I love that I was able to try on dresses in my size. I went to the David's Bridals in Schaumburg and Aurora. Faye at the Schaumburg one is wonderful. She was super supportive when I went shopping with all the BMs, MOH, FMIL, and mom and FMIL and mom hated the dress that I loved.
    I went to the House of Brides in Aurora and had a horrible time. I can't speak for the other locations, but the consultants there made me feel like dirt because I was plus size.

No matter where you go make sure you pick a dress that is flattering on you now. Worrying about losing enough weight so that your dress flatters you on your wedding day is not a stress that you need when it comes down to crunch time for planning. Also remember that your FI loves you the way you are. As long as you feel beautiful in your dress you'll look beautiful in your dress. It really is all about confidence.
    209 Invited image
    141 Can't Wait image
    19 Have Something Better To Do image
    49 Can't Find a Mailbox imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KATERS882KATERS882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it all depends on the consultant you get when you go try on dresses.  I had a great experience with Linda C. (they have more than one Linda at that store) at House of Brides Schaumburg.   She was very supportive...I actually went to try on wedding dresses with my sister because at the last minute my mom had to take my grandma to the hospital.  My mom didn't want me to cancel the appointment.  Linda C. made the appointment fun for my sister and I.   She made me feel comfortable trying on the dresses.   She was also great when I brought my mom back with me to see the dress a couple of days later.  She also said to come back as many times as I like to try on the dress before I get it in.   I struck out at Davids Bridal Schaumburg 3 times....3 different consultants so again I think it depends more on the consultants than the store itself but thats just me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I just want to say that I too am plus size and I'm loving it although I understand what youre going through i cant sizes believe you even stayed at evas if you did I went there and they told me "well all we have are dress  size 10 to try on" so I hope your experience went better...I hate to say this but I completely love davids bridal they are patient they have plenty of dresses in all sizes and they dont look down just because your a bigger size..oohhh and there prices are GREAT lol....all im going to say is that where ever you decide to get your dress make sure you LOVE the dress like the place and people your buying from or feel comfortable with your consultant if you find a place you like please let me know =] GOOD LUCK

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_plus-size-wedding-dresses-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:0543ae8f-1035-4f71-92bd-4424715d0ab7Post:d1927395-7181-4996-abf4-c408f4747e26">Re: plus size wedding dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]also look at Here Comes The Bride in Addison...they have plus size dresses and are REALLY helpful. My dress is from there and was cheaper than the stuff I kinda liked at Davids.
    Posted by MrsPaps[/QUOTE]

I am getting my dress form here and they are AMAZING! The owner is always there and they let me come in over and over because I couldn't make up my mind! They are so nice and never made me feel plus size... it was the only place I went that I felt like a normal bride! And today when I went it they noticed I lost weight!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got mine at House of Brides in Schaumburg.  They have a really big selection of dresses 18-30 (I myself ordered a size 22).

I just recently got my dress and it looks awesome.  So pretty.  They measured me and worked with me so well that when the dress came in, I needed VERY little alterations wise.

I found Davids in Orland, and Evas in Oak Lawn pretty easy to work with too and found probably 4 dresses that I really liked in both stores.

Dont stress!  You have pleanty of time.  I think I bought my dress in like June and my wedding is in November.
  • Options
    bevnichole12bevnichole12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I echo what kag0215 said. I worked with Faye and she was awesome. She listens to what you say you want and don't like in a certain style of dress. I found out that I'm about a size 26. She understood my needs and wants, and found dresses that worked along those lines. If you decide to come to the schaumburg location try coming during the week vs weekend and making an appointment with Faye. It can be a zoo even on sundays.

Also, to no fault of your own, be advised that even womens sizes can run small so you may end up having to go up a size depending on the dress.

I didn't have much luck at house of brides myself, due to lack of variety in sample sizes. Good luck. I hope this helps.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards