Illinois-Chicago
Options

Spain or Italy- Must See Cities for Honeymoon?

Hello,Planning our honeymoon soon and we're undecided on Spain or Italy.If anyone has been to MUST SEE CITIES for either, please let me know which ones to help our decision. Thanks so much!

Re: Spain or Italy- Must See Cities for Honeymoon?

• Options
    Becky D.Becky D. member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rome was my favorite place!!!  We were only there for 2.5 days but could have spent much more time there!!!
  • Options
    gczechgczech member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Venice, Italy.  It's not just a city, it's an experience!  And no, I did not get that from a travel book. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Granada, Spain - it is fileld with a rich history - also many other cities in Southern Spain are wonderful - (Seville, Malaga, etc...) - I prefer them to Barcelona and Madrid, though you can't go wrong with those eitherI have also been to Rome, Florence, Venice, and Milan and they are also wonderful and filled with so much history - you really can't go wrong with either choice (Italy or Spain), I just personally prefer Spain because I can speak the language and therefore felt like I got more of a cultural experience out of it and the people in Southern Spain are so relaxed and friendly
    IMG_2788

2/20/2011
  • Options
    Elizabeth7277Elizabeth7277 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for this post, this helps me out as well since we are going to both Spain and Italy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My favorites: SPAIN: Barcelona & the Costa del Sol (Marbella is my favorite there) - you can also take a trip across to Morocco, but I didn't have time to do that. ITALY: Rome, Milan, Florence, Cinque Terre (I stayed in Riomaggiore). I have heard amazing things about the Amalfi Coast, Positano, and Capri as well -- that is where DH & I will go next!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have been to both Spain and Italy.  We have been to Italy several times and by far my favorite place in Italy is Capri!  If I could get married there I would.  All the other cities are beautiful but if you get a chance definitely do the Amalfi coast!! (southern Italy)
  • Options
    Elizabeth7277Elizabeth7277 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mkc - We are planning to go on one of the shore excursions which include Amalfi Coast, Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii all in one day. I will let you know if we did for sure go and how it was. I also want to check out Isle of Capri. Next trip to Italy we plan will be more north in Venice and Milan. I actually wanted to get married in Venice at first. It looks sooo romantic and beautiful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Spain and Italy, but I'm partial to Italy, especially for a honeymoon. I mean...it's Italy! How much more romantic does it get? : ) In order of preference: Venice, Rome, Cinque Terre, Milan. I would avoid the south for a HM, personally. It's a MUCH different experience once you get about 2 hours south of Rome. Like, um...mafia and lots of crime. It's also rather dirty and poor. Definitely all wonderful places to visit, but again, I just wouldn't recommend the south for romantic travel. I agree with pp: Venice is an experience. When people THINK of Italy (sterotypically, sure), they think of Venice. It's the epitomy of Italian life, IMO. Rome is just an abundance of activities and sight-seeing, you could easily spend 4-5 days there and still have things you want to see (depending on your desire to see many museums). Depending on the time of year, Cinque Terre can be stunning. I agree with pp on staying in one of the 5 towns. Riomaggorie (sp?) was a happening town. It's a great place in Italy if you enjoy walking/hiking and water. The pesto is the best and it's in Tuscan region, so the wine is always outstanding. The only thing about Cinque Terre is that the towns close down shop EARLY, especially for Italy. There's little to do after dinner time which can get a bit boring if you're a night owl at all. Really, can't go wrong...definitely 2 of my favorite countries!
  • Options
    Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are going to Italy for our honeymoon. We are going to Rome for 5 days and will take a day trip to Florence from there and then we are heading down to the Amalfi coast to Positano. Will take a day trip to Capri and Pompeii. I can't wait!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Litgirl77Litgirl77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Had to weigh in (a bit behind everyone else) because I just got back from Italy! I've been to Spain as well, but I think Italy's the way to go for a honeymoon.If you like big cities, Rome and Venice were my favorites. They're packed with tourists, so make sure you wander off the beaten path a bit if you go (check out the Trastevere neighborhood in Rome). But we really loved a lot of the smaller towns we visited. Cinque Terre is a MUST (Riomaggiore and Manarolla-sp? were our favorites). And I think Lucca and Sienna are lovely, more relaxing towns where you can experience Italy more and tourism less. =) Have an amazing time, whatever you decide!
    Married November 2009 ~ TTC since Jan 2011
    IUI #1 (unmedicated) - BFN
    IUI #2 (unmedicated) - 4/9/12 = BFP!
    Due 12/31/12 - Sam is here! (12/26/12)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks All, again!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards