Illinois-Chicago
Options

cost of dance lessons

Can anyone tell me how much you paid for dance lessons and what was included for that price? The place where we want to take lessons would charge over $1,000 to coreograph our first dance and teach it to us. We don't really want to spend that much. Our cheapest option would be to take 4 private lessons for $300. That's not bad, but we're not sure that we'd know how to dance to the song we've chosen after those 4 general lessons. Can anyone share their dancing lesson experience? TIA!

Re: cost of dance lessons

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We paid $300 for 6 lessons. It was pretty much choreographed but we had to practice a lot! We went to May I Have This Dance on Elston & Foster and had Michael Cooper for our teacher.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I'm not sure where around Chicago you are looking, but there is a place I know of in Naperville/Aurora right by the Fox Valley Mall called Sterba's Dancesport. I am actually taking a ballroom dance class now through Naperville Park District as Sterba sources out to other venues. They are owned by husband and wife Tom and Christina and they are truly the nicest people! Check out their website. They are doing 3 private lessons for $120, I would definately recommend them, they do general lessons and specific choreography for weddings and other events of the such. The website is sterbasdancesport.com and they also have a Facebook Page.
    My Planning Website Tied The Knot on 12-4-10! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are paying $60 per lesson and it's up to us how many we want to take -- so far we have signed up for 6. They are located in Roscoe Village and I think a few Knotties have used them -- her name is Szewai Lee.
  • Options
    CassaloCassalo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just signed up at Desarge dance world in Naperville.  They have a wedding package for $120 that includes choreographing of the first dance- a group ballroom basics class, 3 private sessions and 3 "open dance" (I'm guessing those are like a social) just to go and practice. I'm sure you could add on extra private sessions in need be.  Good luck!
  • Options
    podgormapodgorma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone! I moved to the burbs a few months ago, so I'm going to check out the Naperville ones. Cassalo- that sounds like a great deal.
  • Options
    CassaloCassalo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought so too! I have been emailing them (we just decided to try the lessons) and so far they have been so nice and helpful! We are going to start this Sunday. GL choosing!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello, My fiancee and I have been taking lessons through Matthew Sove (email me at nikkituli@gmail.com for contact info) in Lakeview. He charges $60 per hour and will pretty much take you as far as your comfortable going. For us, he's teaching us social dancing, and not choreographing a dance, but he can do that as well. We just love him - highly recommend him!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards