Illinois-Chicago
Options

cake flavors

what is everyone doing for a cake flavor? is it expected to have a vanilla or chocolate cake, of course with the nicer add-ons like raspberries, or is it okay to go with something more modern and perhaps less common?

Re: cake flavors

• Options
    disneyfan0511disneyfan0511 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing one layer of vanilla cake with cheesecake filling and two layers of spice cake with an apple butter/hazelnut filling. Our cake is from Toni Sweets in Hinsdale.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing very non traditional.......2 layers are red velvet w/ raspberry jam, and the other 2 layers are double chocolat cake w/ Bailey's cream.  Its going to be covered in Dark Chocolate butter cream...........    
  • Options
    Elizabeth7277Elizabeth7277 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is one layer cheesecake, one layer vanilla, one layer chocolate and one layer raspberry filling. We tasted a few of the cakes and that by far was the most delicious, plus you can basically please everyone with it.
  • Options
    ebk1979ebk1979 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is Chocalate fudge frosting...One layer Chocalte with rasberry, one layer yellow with strawberry, one layer Red velvelt with cream cheese filling, the last layer is choclate with choclate mouse
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is one layer of white cake with raspberry filling, one layer of chocolate with chocolate ganache and chocolate truffle ganache with the top two pistachio cake and pistachio filling.  My soon to be husband and I love pistachio so I really wanted to get it.  I know not everyone will love it, but we have enough cake that even if only 5 people try it we will have enough chocolate and vanilla.  I love the idea of doing really unique combinations and those cakes are always the most memorable. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our cake is from Rolf's Patisserie. It will be buttercream on the outside, devils food chocolate and standard white cake on the inside. Each tier has four layers. Devils Food, Bailey's mousse, white cake, chocolate frosting, devils food, Bailey's mousse and white cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing Toni's Sweets too!!  We're doing alternate tiers of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting filling and hazelnut sponge cake with chocolate mousse filling.  They'll both be covered in vanilla buttercream.A note about what's "expected."  We came home from the tasting, pretty satisfied with our choices, and my mom was disappointed to say the least.  She told us that the flavors were nothing special and didn't seem like wedding cake flavors.  "Wedding cake" flavors (to her) are white cake with strawberry filling (which doesn't seem like "anything special" to me, btw).  We're still going with what we want because they're a reflection of our personal taste/style.  I really think wedding cake can be whatever you want.  Good luck!
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Options
    evaluna68evaluna68 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing half Sachertorte with bittersweet chocolate glaze (which, for the uninitiated, is chocoalte cake with raspberry preserves), and half white cake with raspberry Bvarian cream filling/icing, from Cafe Selmarie in Lincoln Square.  Yummy, but not super-traditional, and we love raspberries!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love going to weddings that have "not your average cake" flavors.  One of the best ones I've had was a german chocolate cake.  That was at my brothers.  They also had carrot cake. It's nice to do the alternating tiers, the only hard thing is deciding which one you want to eat!  If you're a little unsure, why not do alternating regular flavor with something different.  Like maybe have marble for every other tier and then once you think is tasty and different.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards