Illinois-Chicago
Options

what happens when you HATE your engagement pics???

Hi ladies-I need your words of wisdom please. My fiance and I had our engagement pics done on august 15 at the museum campus. I loved the location, felt great that day and really clicked with the photographer.  Fast forward to today--we got our proofs back and I HATE every single picture of myself. I feel like the angles of almost every photo was very unflattering to me. The photos themselves are fantastic, its just me. I look very heavy and very short in every shot!!! I know something similar was posted a few weeks ago, but I really don't know what to do. The thought of being in a wedding dress in 4 months with everyone looking at me and a million pictures taken of me makes me want to cry. I am so unhappy with how I look right now. I am not really very self conscious generally either...I was just really looking forward to taking the pics and to be this disappointed sucks thanks for letting me vent.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what happens when you HATE your engagement pics???

• Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was dissappointed in my pics as well...so was my FI. That being said, we each thought the other person looked great! It's funny how we perceive ourselves. I had a girlfriend with a fantastic eye take a peek at our pics. Of course she had nothing but nice things to say about how nice I looked in each photo and I think that's exactly what I needed....a little hand-holding and butt kissing. My own personal opinion is that I'm not used to having my photo taken. The last time I had professional pics was my senior pictures. I'm not a professional model, so I do look ridiculous in some of my pics. However, there are good ones in the bunch that I liked. Try to focus on the good aspects of how you look in your photos, your fantasic eyes; your perky bubbies; your awesome hair day; your mani/pedi; your shiny new ring. Now, this is going to sound very catty, but it's what I did....go through some of the national boards to lurk and look at other engagment/wedding photos. There are some HEINOUS pictures out there. The way I looked at it is that it could be worse....much, much worse. Smile! I'm sure the pics turned out fabulously.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I posted a while back about hating my engagment pics. After looking through them several times, and having people reassure me that I was being way too critical, I came to accept them. The best advice that I was given was by one of the knotties on here. Someone told me that this is just a snapshot of where we are at this moment in time. I look better in my engagement pics than I did at my birthday 4 months prior, and it gave me motivation to make sure that the next moment in time looks even better! I might not be skinny come the wedding, but I know in my heart that I worked my hardest to make changes and I'll be happy with that. I'll be able to see all the progress I've made. Another option is to let your photographer know how you feel, and perhaps when they do the wedding pictures, they can try different angles to make you appear taller. Good luck with everything. In the end, you are going to look amazing and you have to keep telling yourself that!
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used our engagement pictures to figure out how we liked to be photographed and how we thoguht we looked best.  After we got the photos, DH and I went through and picked out which shots we looked best in and what we didn't like about others.  Then we talked with our photographer before the wedding about how we felt we should or shouldn't be shot on wedding day.  I think it made a big difference.  There were very few wedding photos we didn't like.  We knew what angles were flattering to us.  Maybe this experience can help you to get wedding photos that you really love.
    Jack

Blog!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is it the photographer or are you being critical? I'd show them to your friends. You can post here on well....but be prepared for some honest feedback.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I think these just made me realize how I do not want to look on my wedding day and gave me the motivation to kick it into gear!You guys are great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it sounds like you hate how you look but not the photos themselves. if it is a weight issue or other issue, just work on that. if it is the way your photographer took the photos tell them which angles you DON'T want.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel the same way. I have been cutting way back on my eating and watching everything I put in my mouth. I hate it actually. My face is the first place to gain weight. Uh! I feel your pain, I really do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was also not thrilled with mine when we got them back a couple of weeks ago.  Some were nice, but some weren't.  It didn't help that my FI is generally awkward in photos, and we both wore clothes that wrinkle just by looking at them.  Sigh/fail.I spoke with my photographer and she's going to give us another hour so we're comfortable going into the wedding.  She reassured me that engagement photos are completely different than wedding photos (at least with photojournalism)- and I do love the slideshows I've seen of her weddings- but she wants me to feel good going into the day.I'd suggest taking the combo approach- call your photog and talk it over, and do whatever you need to do for yourself between now and December 31st.
  • Options
    Monkey29Monkey29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, take a deep breath and don't be so hard on yourself. I wasn't completely happy with my engagement photos either. Part of it was just being uncomfortable with photographs of myself.  Part of it was the angle that the photographer took the pictures.  And part of it was the way I was smiling, when I laugh i tend to pull my face back and down, pretty much creating an artificial double chin.  I remained conscious of that during the posed pictures at the wedding, so that, at the very least, I didn't create the double chin during those pictures.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards