Illinois-Chicago
Options

Bridesmaid Hair and Makeup

Hey girls,  

I am not sure what to do about bridesmaid hair and makeup...at first I was going to let them decide if they wanted to get either done by my makeup artist and hair stylist for the day.  However, the MUA expressed concern over some girls not having their makeup done and having them look out of place in the pictures.  I had sent out an e-mail a while back inquiring about who would be interested in hair/makeup and all but 1 girl said they wanted both.  

The price of hair is $75/bridesmaid and makeup is $80.  Am I supposed to pay for their hair and makeup?  Or do they pay for their own?  My maid of honor informed me that some of the girls have expressed concern about costs for the bachelorette party, and now I'm worried they will have the same concerns for hair/makeup once the wedding comes around.  

Thanks for your advice!  

Re: Bridesmaid Hair and Makeup

• Options
    ladybug7485ladybug7485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

First of all, the MUA saying that some girls will look out of place without their makeup done is kind of weird. I feel like she saying that so she will make more money if more BM book makeup.
    Some brides choose to pay for hair/makeup for BM, I'm not doing that but have just given them the option of using my hair/MUA when they come to the hotel. Most of my BMs are booking hair and only 1 is booking both.
    If they have concerns about hair/makeup just make them aware that it's not required, this should take care of that.
    Also, when they said that they all wanted both (except 1) did they know the cost? If not, I would just make sure that they know the cost going in so that they aren't caught off guard on the wedding day.

• Options
    mapales2mapales2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that you should let the girls decide on their own whether or not they want makeup done.  I gave my girls the option and all but one are going to do it, but I am certainly not pushing her to conform.  I have been to a lot of weddings and been in a few where I know not all the girls got their makeup done, and all the photos turned out just fine.  You could also try to find another makeup artist that is lower cost as an option for your girls if it is really important to you.  If your girls don't want to do for financial reasons, I don't think it's fair to force them.  I understand your concern and maybe if you present it to them that way, maybe they will be more likely to pay the extra money for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you should make it their own choice, if you make it a requirement, than you should offer to pay. If it is their choice than they pay.

I also gave my girls the option, I set up the stylists and makeup artists to come to our hotel, and let everyone know the costs and if they were interested to let me know so I could make sure we had enough stylists/artists there they day of. All my girls ended up wanting to go with getting their hair/makeup done (I also gave them a list of the salons in the area incase they wanted to drive and get it done, but that only saves like 10 dollars so really no point :))
    nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am paying for their hair (not as a gift) so that we can have fun in the salon the morning of the wedding. It felt weird for me to go to a salon to have my hair done and not be around them all morning. If someone does not want her hair done, I will not be offended if she cancels the appointment. I am having my makeup done, but they are on their own for that.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    pajarito81pajarito81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that the MUA shouldn't pressure you into getting your BM makeup/hair done by telling you they will look out of place. THat's obviously a dumb tactic marketing remark on her part. Aside of that, I don't think you should have to feel like you need to pay for your BM makeup and hair. Find them a reasonably priced MUA and Hair stylist and most will usually collect payment the day of, which I'm sorry, if you are in a wedding, you should expect to have to invest some $ into it if you accept to be in the bridal party, and if you give them months in advance to come up with the $ for it, I think you are being fair and reasonable.

I think the important thing is that you stress to your bridal party how important photography is to you, and that there is a difference between street makeup(ex.bare minerals) vs. photographic makeup. (ex. airbrush, mac,etc.) It makes a difference in your photos. Perhaps that is what your MUA was trying to suggest. Stress that it is important to you that everybody have photographic makeup done, some people are picky about their hair or have their own stylist they choose, which I think is fair. I'd be more concerned with their makeup being done right. I have 8 bridesmaids, and all but 1 agreed to hair, makeup or both.I sent out a mass email to them with a website link to the MUA and hair stylist so they knew what they were paying for. Good Luck!
    Mrs. F 9-18-10
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto ladybug. My first thought is that, Of course the MUA would say that! She's trying to sell more services! I hate that kind of sales pressure.

I've told my girls that they can get their hair done if they want to, I don't care if they do or not. They know how to style their own hair and it's expensive to get your hair done, in addition to all of the other costs they are absorbing for the wedding. I am going back and forth on paying for their make up though. I expect them to all get their makeup done by the MUA that I have coming to the hotel. I want all of us to have a good time getting ready and for pictures. However, that may not be part of their gifts b/c it's not really a gift to them, it's more of something that I want for the wedding.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a hair and a make-up lady coming.
    I asked the three bridesmaids if they would be interested in using their services.
    All but one wanted to use both...my sister wanted to use a different hair stylist due to cost. but I have used that hair stylist and she is a mess at times so i offered to pay the difference and have her use the same woman as everyone else.  I won't pressure her to use the make-up woman as that is not something either of us have done before, i'm just splurging for the wedding.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree.  It should be up to the girl to decide because you do not know what their finances are.  If you tell them how much and they say yes then do not worry about it.
  • Options
    platinumkateplatinumkate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    your bridesmaids can be expected to support you on your wedding day but shouldn't be expected to pay money if they don't want to or can't afford it. $75 plus another $80 is cheap for a bride, but for someone who is already buying a bridesmaid dress, shoes, bachelorette party, and bridal shower for you, it does add up. giving them the option to use your makeup and hair person is appropriate but letting them know they may look out of place could possibly make someone feel uneasy or pressured.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards