Illinois-Chicago

Caterer Suggestions? Help!

My fiance and I are getting married next July and we are currently looking for a caterer for our reception at the Newberry Library in downtown Chicago. 
We're both in grad school right now and have a pretty modest budget--we're hoping to spend no more than $10,000 on foodin total (including labor, non-alcoholic beverages, etc...). We will be providing our own liquor. 
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on which Chicago-area (city or suburbs) caterers with good food we can look into that are within our budget range? 
Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Caterer Suggestions? Help!

• edited December 2011
    Doesn't the Newberry give you a list of allowed vendors?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    They did but the ones listed were not within our budget-range. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would imagine they have a preferred list and then you could contact them all with your budget and ideas and see what proposals you get back.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    They did give us a list and none of them came back with proposals that were within our budget, even after re-working the menus. So now we're trying to look outside of the preferred list that they gave us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Golfer09Golfer09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fig Catering, City Provisions, Conn's Catering, D'Absolute Catering, Froggy's Catering, Pure Kitchen Catering
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
  • edited December 2011
    We went with Hearty Boys. It was the least expensive on the list of preferred caterers, and actually, we liked it the most.
    But if I remember right, the Newberry either doesn't allow caterers that aren't on their preferred list, or they charge a steep fee. I hope you are able to find something, and good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The Newberry allows you to bring in any caterer as long as they have a permit with the City of Chicago, which is pretty much any caterer that ever works in Chicago.  We are also having our wedding at the Newberry and we looked at Froggy's, which was definitely one of the more reasonable caterers out there.  I would recommend looking at them, if you haven't already.  The food was reasonable and Terry was very nice, but ultimately we went with a different caterer. 

You didn't say how many people you are having but I think your budget is do-able...you may need to scale back on appetizers or choose a lower cost entree to do it though. 
  • edited December 2011
    We are using J&L for our wedding in June and have been working with Jim and let me tell you, he has been wonderful!  The food as been awesome and he is great about revising proposals for us based on new ideas we have and has really worked with our budget to make sure we are able to have the reception we want without going completely broke.  He also acts as the "day of coordinator" and will be there all day setting up and coordinating with our other vendors to make sure everything runs smooth.  We feel very lucky to have him!
  • edited December 2011
    We're using D'absolut catering for the Newberry in May. They are very reasonably priced!  How many people are you planning to have for the 10,000?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all of this info guys! I am currently looking into all of the suggested caterers. 

Also, with the guests we originally planned on 100. Somehow, however, the guest list has increased, which means the amount we spend on food will too. 

Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • joo6758joo6758 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am using Marie's Catering! They are in Willowbrook so I'm not sure if they travel out to the city. I am having 200 guests and my food pricing is around $11,000. This includes all the appetizers, served meals and dessert/wedding cake.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards