Illinois-Chicago
Options

Choosing location- Morten Arboretum vs Garfield Park Conservatory (C'est Si Bon Catering)

Please help! We are trying to choose between having our winter wedding reception for approximately 85-100 ppl at Morten Arboretum or Garfield Park Conservatory? Has anyone had any experience with these places? Morten has its own food--is it good? We may not have time to go out for a tasting before we need to book. Garfield Park has a list of caterers, we are leaning towards C'est Si Bon, has anyone been there? Is the food good?

Thanks in advance. Starting to feel panicked, like if we don't make a decision soon, we won't have an available date EITHER place next winter. Wedding planning is not our thing, and we are kind of overwhelmed.

Re: Choosing location- Morten Arboretum vs Garfield Park Conservatory (C'est Si Bon Catering)

• Options
    emilyj4585emilyj4585 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know someone who is getting married at Garfield Park. Just as an FYI she was required to hire security for the evening. I'm not sure who she is having do the catering. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to both the Morton Arboretum and GP Conservatory for fun, not for weddings but if you've never been to the conservatory, it is so beautiful, but kinda in the middle of a not-so-great neighborhood. To me, the Morton Arboretum is just a bunch of trees, don't get me wrong it's really pretty, i go for the bike trails but, I think the conservatory is prettier for a wedding. Depends on what look you are going for though. Can't comment on the food, sorry. I know there's a profile here on TheKnot in the RealWeddings tab on a couple who got married at the Arboretum and it looks really nice. Here is a profile on projectwedding.com on a couple who got married at the conservatory. If you just can't choose and you're on a budget, I'd say go with whosever cheaper.

http://www.projectwedding.com/real_wedding/show/anna-scott-chicago-il?page=16
    My Planning Website Tied The Knot on 12-4-10! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    shochstetlershochstetler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Arb's Thornhill Auditorium next October.  We've had the best experience working with the both Kim (the wedding coordinator) and Steve (the catering rep) and are looking forward to a fantastic ceremony and reception.  The food was surprisingly good.  I say that because we expected typical "reception hall" cuisine: dry and bland.  The pork was tender and moist and you could tell they used the freshest ingredients with the salad, sides, etc.  Just to be sure, we checked out their Valentine's brunch for non-wedding food.  Again, excellent. 

One note of caution--the Arb has the "Cakery" as the cake provider in their contract.  You can opt out (I recommend you do) and be refunded for the cost.  We had our tasting at the Cakery a few weeks back and it was horrid!  See yelp.com for more info.  We're going with "La Petite Sweet" in Westmont.  Amazing quality and creativity for just a few bucks more per slice.  If you have any other questions, PM me.

HTH!!
  • Options
    maybride618maybride618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Garfield Park Conservatory and using Jewell Events for the caterer.  We tasted at Phil Stefani and Food for Thought too, and both of those were great also.  We had attended a wedding at Garfield a few years ago and loved it.  I've never been to one at the Aboretum though.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    piper28piper28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey all, thanks for the help! In the end, if you are curious, we decided to go with the Arboretum, and we reserved today, and set a date for Jan 29, 2011! It feels SO GOOD to have that decision done with. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards