Illinois-Chicago
Options

Distance between Cermony and Reception. Too long?

Hey ladies! I need some help. Its looking like our ceremony is going to be in naperville and the reception in Addison. Its about a 25-30 minute drive (maybe longer in friday afternoon traffic)

Is this too long of a commute for my guests? There will be about a hour and a half/two hours in between

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Distance between Cermony and Reception. Too long?

• Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I might be in the minority, but I think it's fine. My ceremony is in Orland Park and my reception is in Schaumburg which is more like 45 mins with traffic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would find the drive from Addison to Naperville to be really long but I think the gap is a bigger issue. Where do the majority of your guests live? If the majority don't live in the area of Naperville and/or Addison, I would find that a problem. If most guests can go home after the ceremony and then drive to the reception from there, its not a big deal. But if I live in Chicago and now I have a bunch of time to kill, I am going to be annoyed.

Also, when I have gone to weddings with long gaps like that and a lot of driving, most people skip the ceremony and only go to the reception.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's too long of a distance, but I do think the time gap is rude.

What do you think guests will do then? OOT guests would hang at their hotels?  What if you have guests that live in the city...w/traffic it'd be silly for them to go home and then back to the reception, so are they supposed to sit around a Starbucks in their nice clothes?

I agree w/PP, I think the ceremony attendance will be affected by the gap.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    so what is a good time allotment?

I was thinking;

Ceremony: 4-4:30
    Pictures from 4:30 - 5:30 (do i need an hour?)
    And then the cocktail hour starts at 6

There is also a lounge with a bar at the reception site.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think the distance is fine...if you give your guests the time between the creemony and reception to get there it is fine...just not too much time :)
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You could take a good majority of your pics before the ceremony, individuals, girls, boys, family, and then take couple pics after, but to me that sounds like a lot of pressure to get "the perfect pictures" in one hour.  You could ask your photographer what they think?

Are you hosting cocktails and serving food during the gap?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_distance-between-cermony-reception-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:3e69ed13-e37a-441c-95e2-3c04216eb807Post:1c5d495f-cf61-4a01-9d0e-1d179931fda2">Re: Distance between Cermony and Reception. Too long?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could take a good majority of your pics before the ceremony, individuals, girls, boys, family, and then take couple pics after, but to me that sounds like a lot of pressure to get "the perfect pictures" in one hour.  You could ask your photographer what they think? Are you hosting cocktails and serving food during the gap?
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

In complete agreement with this.

Also, maybe I am wrong, but isn't the purpose of the cocktail hour is that your guests are entertained while you take pictures?
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    stephasuasustephasuasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The distance between our church and reception was 17 miles, about 25-30 minutes. Our reception was in Oak Brook, and wedding was in Chicago. In order to avoid driving issues for our guests, we hired coach buses. It worked out great! We had two of them for 100 guests. We wanted to provide this transportation in order to make it easier on our guests. 
  • Options
    WinterWed17WinterWed17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People used to get married at 12/1 p.m. and have evening dinner receptions back in the day. People will survive a 1 1/2-2 hour break.

Think of it this way, people tend to hang around the church after taking pictures and catching up. They don't dash right off to the reception, especially if they know there is a gap. So right there that's at least 30 minutes. Then another 30 for them to get to the reception. So they'll only have 30 mins to 1 hour to fill. That's not bad at all.
  • Options
    stephasuasustephasuasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, thats not bad at all. And, at the hotel, from experience everyone tends to migrate to one hotel room for some pre-partying, or a hotel bar. For our wedding, we had 25 rooms reserved by our guests for a 155 person wedding. Every guest was bound to know someone with room that they could chill in. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! Feel much better about my decision.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards