Illinois-Chicago
Options

I'm Catholic... he's not.

Our ceremony is scheduled in a non-denominational Church.  I am Catholic, FI is not.  Can someone coach me on how to get my marriage acknowledged by the Catholic faith, please?

Re: I'm Catholic... he's not.

• Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, you'll probably have to speak with the priest in your parish. We're both Catholic but I met with my parish priest when I was in Catholic school. At the time we were thinking about having an outdoor wedding. He explained that he couldn't perform the ceremony but that he could bless the marriage at a later date in a Catholic Church. So, to apply this to your sitch, I think you can definitely have the Church bless your marriage at a later date. I don't think that it's a huge deal that your FI (or DH by that time) is not Catholic...but again, that's something you need to discuss with your priest.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks!  I forgot to mention, I do not currently belong to a Parish either...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a similar situation.  My fiance did a little research and there's something the clergy member who's marrying can fill out and you take it to your parish priest and the marriage is certified or whatever with the church.  But as Sparkette said, check with your parish priest or do a little research on the Archdiocese (or even Vatican) website.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My DH is Catholic and I'm not...and he didn't belong to a parish.  We got married at Assumption Catholic Church Downtown.  It was one of the churches that would marry us even though we didn't belong to the parish.  I think Notre Dame is the other we looked at.
  • Options
    morgie44morgie44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DH is Catholic, but not belonging to any parish and I am not Catholic but was Baptized by a 'congregational' church, whatever that means!  We got married at St.  Pat's in Joliet and it was so much less of a deal than I thought it would be.  The priest there is fantastic.  I even had several family members from my side who said they were dreading our ceremony bc of how long and boring they thought it would be, but that they thought it was really good and even funny. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like all PPs mentioned, it should not be a problem that both of you aren't Catholic.  It may be a bit more complicated since you don't belong to a parish, but it is very easy to register as a parishoner at the church where you attend Mass.  You can later have a preist perform a convalidation ceremony, through which the church will officially recognize/bless your marriage.  You might also check the Catholic Weddings board - those ladies are very knowledgeable.  Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards