Illinois-Chicago
Options

How do I know when a dress is THE ONE?

Before I was engaged I went dress shopping with my friend who is in the army because she as leaving soon. I got engaged on St. Pattie's day and we are planning on getting married on 11/11/11. I went with my SIL today and tried on a dress that I fell in love with yesterday along with a few others...and I still feel weird. I'm not sure if it's because I'm still in shock that I'm engaged...

Anyways, the dresses that I tried on today I didn't really have a lot of feelings towards. I liked the last one I tried because I really liked the style but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to feel. There are so many kinds I like and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. So should I try on all the ones I like and narrow it down? How will I know when the dress I like is THE ONE? And should I buy it now (if it's discontinued or won't be available then) since the wedding is so far away or wait until later in case I find something I like better?  

Re: How do I know when a dress is THE ONE?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you find something you absolutley love, buy it now!
     If its just 'eh' wait.. you should definatley order at the latest 6 months ahead of time ( give your self time for alterations and any delays of shipments from the boutique).

Not everyone has that tears moment when they find "the dress" but you should definatley love it when you put it on. They also say once you find one you love, stop looking! :)

nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely agree with pp that if you love love LOVE it, then don't look anymore.  I would be a little leery, however, getting a dress this soon out.  Style change, tastes change and bodies change :-)  
  • Options
    ladybug7485ladybug7485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found my dress the first time that I went shopping. I love it and knew that it was what I wanted but I think it was more because it felt like it fit me perfectly (by fit I don't mean physically) and it was the perfect mix of things I had liked on other dresses.
    I don't think that you should necessarily wait for that "OMG,thisisitandperfect andiwilllooksobeautifultearteartear". Because that type of reaction may not happen and it doesn't mean that you haven't found a perfect dress.
    Personally, if I were you I would browse for now with the intention of not buying and then if you come across something fabulous and it's off the rack or going out of season you could decide then.
    Also-yes I would try on any and all dresses and get a better idea of what you like/dislike on each. That way you'll have a good feeling that you're going with the right choice when you find a combination of all the things you like!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My search I took more as a process of elimination. I went out looking probably about 10 different times. The first day I went out, I found a dress that I really, really liked. But I was still over a year out. I continued to look, and would just compare what I found to what was my favorite dress. If I found a new dress I liked just as much as the current favorite, then it was added to the list. After trying on my original favorite dress again and comparing it to any new favorites, I just decided which dress was my favorite and It was the original dress. I definitely think I would have 2nd guessed myself if I didn't get out there and look at all the other dresses though. 

And I didn't have any teary, "OMG THIS IS IT!!" moment. But I did get very excited when we were actually buying the dress, and still get very happy thinking about it now, as "my dress."

• Options
    morgie44morgie44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on your personality.  I am a 'grass is always greener' kind so I knew I was going to want to try on a lot of dresses.  If you are still wondering about other dresses, I would suggest you try on a few more... better to do that, than buy one dress then realize later it isn't the one. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think you will know, you will be comparing it to every other dress that you try on. I would say go looking with no intention on buying, if you find one that you love, get all the information on it, go back a little closer to the wedding and try it on again and if you still like it then, then buy it.  the associates will know how long dresses stay out and how it all works with the ordering.
    Good Luck, happy shopping
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found my dress the very first time I went shopping.  I wasn't expecting to buy it that day, but when I put it on, it felt right.  I knew it was the one before I even saw it in a mirror.  I loved the look of it, I could picture myself in it, and it fit my personality.  I also felt like it was a dress I would want to wear all day for my wedding.

I didn't buy it that day though, I went home and it was all I could think about.  My mom and I went back and bought it the next day.
    Married!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that not everyone tears up-I know I definitely didn't I found my dress at the second place I looked, but I wasn't sure it was the one. I went to three shops after that and even though I liked a lot of dresses I put on, something about them felt wrong and I just couldn't put my finger on it. I couldn't really stop thinking about my dress so I went back and tried on and just felt this overwhelming sense of relief and happiness. That's when I knew it was time to stop looking!

It was frustrating to try on all those dresses after finding mine and not knowing why nothing else was feeling right, but like other people said, I'm glad I did it because if I hadn't I probably wouldn't be so confident that my dress is the definitely the one I wanted. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since you said that you are still in shock over being engaged, I would wait and really think about what style dress you want. You have plenty of time to find the perfect dress and ordering something now while you still have the engagement shock may result in a change of mind a year from now.

That being said, I ordered my dress 14 months before the wedding from the first store I ever went to. I found it on the first appointment, went a few weeks later to a different store because I already had an appointment, then returned to the first store to show THE dress to my family and order it. I didn't have any emotional reaction, I just couldn't find any other dress that compared. It has now been 9 months since I ordered the dress and there is no doubt in my mind that it is the perfect dress.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You will know.

My face got completely hot when I saw my dress on me.  (some girls cry etc).

My mentality immediately after that was - no more dress shopping - I found it!!

I know some girls might be a little indecisive.  Maybe you should wait since your wedding is next year.  Wait til this Nov to dress shop.

• Options
    nickyoatesnickyoates member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got my dress last night.  It looks like this one.  It ran very small.  I am a size 14 -16 and we ordered a 16.  The bodice of this 16 dress fit like a 12 (if that).  They need to take it out 2 inches on each side - I hope they will be able to, I am 18 days away from wedding day.
  • Options
    duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found my dress on my first (and only trip) after about an hour and 4 or 5 dresses.  I didn't have a strong reaction to it and I certainly didn't cry.  I just liked it and was already sick of looking.

Not everyone has a strong emotional reaction to a wedding dress.   Find one that you love and just stop looking.
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I waited to go dress shopping until a year out from our wedding. I didn't want to be in a position where I liked a dress and then it was discontinued if I waited to order it; and I didn't want to buy too soon b/c I was afraid of not liking it later on down the road.

I think waiting is best if you aren't sure what you want. I looked at a ton of wedding mags and I ended up buying something that was totally not like what I set out for.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am  the type that over thinks the decision.  My wedding is next April....I started looking in February, and after talking to a couple of places on how the industry works, I set a May timeframe to purchase my dress with no intention of purchasing one earlier than that....or after to avoid the potential of it being discontinued.  I did the compare the "like" dresses.  Eventually they all fall off of the list except the one you like!  If you can take pictures of you in it, do it!!!!  That helped me nix a ton, becuase it does not always look like you remember....PLUS it helps you remember the ones that are TOP!  I am on the verge of making my final commitment and ordering mine....

PS ....One thing the people at the boutiques said was to purchase before May or start looking again after July.  Dresses get discontinued twice a year (may is one of those times), and the 2-3 months between when dresses are being discontinued and when the shops are getting the new ones is apparantly not a good time to shop.  So if you find something soon you think might be your one.....find out when the next likely time dresses will be discontinued and set your time limit for makiing a decision....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards