Illinois-Chicago
Options

Wedding on a Budget - need help!!!!

My fiance and I are on a tight budget for our wedding.  We decided that we don't want to put any additional stress on our relationship such as finance problems once we are married.  Therefore, we agreed on a budget of 10K for 150 guests.  I am also pretty open to DIY.  Does anyone have any ideas of great venues that would fit our budget in the Chicagoland or Northwest Indiana area?

Thanks!

Re: Wedding on a Budget - need help!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Try the Avalon in Schererville INdiana, I grew up in Indiana so we looked there before deciding to stick with the Chicagoland area, its beautiful and good prices
    nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for something on the N. shore try The Women's club of Wilmette, or Highland Park Community House.  I know with the Women's club you can choose a caterer and bring in a separate bartender to keep costs down. Highland Park CH may require you select from their approved caterers. 

Some of the park district facilities may be affordable but the also have a select group of caterers they work with.
  • Options
    barbbhowwbarbbhoww member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hire a friend to take pictures that is a photog on the side, call every DJ service around for a great price (and explain your situation!), make a budget for flowrs, stick with it, and don't go over......on vendors, minus the hall, we paid under $2k. Total.  That gave us $8k for the reception, ceremony and everthing else for 120 guests
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can pick up your invites from Michaels...they have a nice selection. If you sign up for email updates, you will get 40% off coupons; you can eliminate certain things like centerpieces, programs.

As PP poster mentioned, you can go really cheap on the flowers. Do a single rose for your bridesmaids...I just saw it done again at a wedding two weeks ago, and it was still pretty.

If you wanted to do centerpieces, you could do cylinder vases (they are sold at dollar-tree) for $1!!! You could also get the colored gems to put at the bottom of the vase and do a floating candle.

What colors are you having? I will have a TON of stuff for sale..and I'm not looking to make profits, or even to get what I paid, just will have a lot of stuff to get rid of...
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are having our wedding on a Friday. We booked over a year in advance and received an incredible discount on a reception venue that we would otherwise be out of our budget.

We had a longer engagement, almost 2 years, so we could save up enough to have the wedding that I wanted...FI says that he doesn't care if we get married in city hall, he just wants me to have the wedding that I want. Super sweet. Gag! =)

If you want to do centerpieces, DIY it. I bought cylindar vases from a former knottie. I went to Michael's with coupons almost every week to buy river rock, beach glass and silk flowers. I'm submerging the flowers in water with a floating candle on top. No one can tell their fake flowers. Or you can just have rocks and floating candles. Or you can have a series of votive candles. Google cheap candles, there are some good deals!

Regarding photography, check out a local college and see if a photgraphy student would be willing to work for you on the cheap.

Flowers, use long stemmed flowers. Buy them the day before, keep them in a cold place. hand tie 3 stems and you have instant flowers that are gorgeous. You might be able to afford better flowers too, such as calla lillies.

The number one way to cut down on wedding costs though is to cut down your guest list. We thought we were going to have 150 people, but it turns out we don't know that many people. Our final count is closer to 80.

People will be asking you if they can help with stuff, they really do mean it. Take them up on their offers. You'll be amazed at how much you can do yourself and not pay a vendor for.

When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards