Illinois-Chicago
Options

European honeymoon

I think FI and I have decided on going to Europe for our honeymoon but we're stuck on what to do.  I've done extensive traveling throughout France and was in Florence, Rome, and Cinque Terre, Italy about 4 years ago.  FI has never been to Europe.  He's pretty much letting me take the lead with what to do, but I can't make up my mind, mostly because the places I keep thinking would be good honeymoons are places I've already been and I feel like I should go somewhere new.  On the other hand, part of me really wants to take FI to these places that I've been and loved so that he can share in that experience with me. 

Neither of us want to spend our entire honeymoon in a museum, we're both into good food and wine, and would like to do some hiking/take long bike rides/some other kind of adventure type activity. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go?  Any thoughts on a European cruise?  Uggghhh, I wish this wasn't so hard - it's supposed to be one of the most fun parts! 

Re: European honeymoon

• Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I'm no help--I've only been to Paris :( I really want to go to Spain.  I also really want to go to Croatia and the Dalmatian coast. My FI has been to Croatia and said it was absolutely beautiful.

Also--page @beautifulnryan--I think she and her DH went to Greece during their HM.  

Good luck--I'm sure anything you pick will be great! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got a quote from centralholidays.com when we talked about going to Italy at first.  That's all I got! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     I would definitely recommend Spain.  It has exactly what you're looking for with good food and wine.  They also have every type of setting from city to beaches to Mountains.

And generally speaking, you can find some cheap flights there.  I've seen some amazing deals in the last month.  Chicago to Madrid or Barcelona under $300 roundtrip (tax included!)
  • Options
    rombacjarombacja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I have looked into spending time in Bordeaux, France. There seems to be a lot of culture and heritage. It's a beautiful area and they have a lot of wineries. It would probably also be great countryside to explore on bicycles. Perhaps you could do something like this for a few days that is new to both of you and then move on to Spain or Paris for a few days of the more traditional European sites...

http://www.bordeaux-tourisme.com/index_uk.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Barcelona!  You don't need to know much Spanish - they really like to practice their English!  It is absolutely beautiful - the people are kind, I felt safe, and it has plenty to do - walking tours, cruise out into the Mediterranean, check out all of the unique architecture, etc.  I thought it was fairly easy to navigate - the only issue we had was understanding when food was served - we kept trying to go eat during their siestas!    When I went we also went to Madrid - I was not a fan.  We should have spent our entire time in Barcelona. 
    You will have fun no matter where you go!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to spend a few days in Paris and the head over to Greek Islands for a week. We had also traveled through Italy, and I had been to Paris. But I never went up to Eiffel Tower, so this will be my and my future husband's special opportunity.
  • Options
    Allison8879Allison8879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i love, love, love spain! you could spend some time on one of the balleric islands to relax, beach, etc... (majorca, ibiza, formetera) then do the whole food / wine thing in barcelona. madrid is also amazing but probably not for honeymoon. another thought is san sebastian on the northern coast, which is home to some of the worlds best restaurants (three michelin stars), or rent a car and drive through wine country.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards