Illinois-Chicago

Recommendations for Where to Shop for Bridal Gown??

Hi ladies,
Does anyone have recommendations for where to shop for bridal gowns around Chicago?  My budget is $1500. 

I've been to David's Bridal and found one potential dress ($399), but would like to check out some more places. I'd like someplace that carries dresses that are slightly more upscale than DB, but not super-expensive boutiques. 

Shops that are downtown, near-western suburbs (Oak Brook-ish) or near north suburbs (Evanston, Park Ridge) would be most convienent.

Thanks for any tips!

Re: Recommendations for Where to Shop for Bridal Gown??

• Mags04Mags04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You could check out Irena Bridal in Villa Park.  It's located on Roosevelt Road.  I visited the store to look for a veil and they had a large selection of dresses so you may find something there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
    BFP 12/31/12 ~ EDD 9/13/13
    BFP Chart
  • edited December 2011
    i highly recommend netbride
  • edited December 2011
    My budget was around the same as yours and I found my dress and all my bridesmaid dresses at A L'Amour in Barrington.  They do have super expensive dresses but if you tell them your budget they have plenty in your price range.  I looked at about 10 stores and the service at A L'Amour can not be beat!  Good luck...dress shopping is so fun!
  • edited December 2011
    I got mine at Shelley's in West Dundee, which is out there, but my experience was great. They don't carry anything over 2000, which I thought was nice, because then i didn't even see the expensive dresses and wasn't tempted to try them on! Good Luck, dress shopping is fun!
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • edited December 2011
    It's further out than you'd like to be but Crystal Bride in Geneva is by far my favorite dress shop. Great selection and wonderful people. There is a Metra stop near there but it might be a few-block hike.

Eva's in Oak Lawn (?) the one off 95th, has a big selection. Some girls have had good experiences there and others...not so much. Depends on your consultant I guess. From what I saw there should be a good number of dresses within your budget.
    Good Luck!
  • edwinajonedwinajon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My budget was also similar to yours and I got my dress at Priscilla's of Boston in Oakbrook.  I had a good shopping experience but for me the dress wasn't a big deal for me.  I just wanted to look thin and not frumpy!

Many of their dresses are somewhat expensive but I was able to try on at least 4-5 in my price range.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    This is also out of your preferred distance, but I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience at Kimberly's Bridal on 120 in Lakemoor. I haven't seen anything there over $2000.

I recommend doing a bit of research on which designers are well within your price range and maybe using that as a starting point where you go. I know most Casablanca dresses are 1k or under and their quality is excellent for the price. Mori Lee, Alfred Angelo, Mary's, Jordan, Maggie Sottero are some other designers within that price point. I liked looking at www.bestbridalprices.com to get a vague idea of price points of various designers when I was dress shopping.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • MsBunny312MsBunny312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Weddings 826 on Armitage near the brown line stop. All of the dresses I tried on there were between $800-$1500. I loved the selection and they treated me really well — not pushy, super friendly, and made great suggestions. I'm going to end up making my own dress, but if I was buying I'd probably go back there.
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Aisle Style in Elmhurst. Its a Watters and Watters and in your range.  They are a pretty small store, but have some very pretty dresses. I haven't been there, but there is also VIP bridal in Elmhurst very close to Aisle Style if you want to hit 2 in one day.
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Great! Thanks so much for all the recommendations.  These will definitely get me started.
  • edited December 2011
    You also might want to check out Macy's on State Street. That was my price range as well and I was able to try on about 10 dresses within that price point. I ended up getting my dress at Wolsfelts Victorian in Aurora. It's out of the way and looks a bit odd when you pull up but they had a great selection - some very pricey though so watch that. About 10 of my friends got their dresses there over the years and they loved the service and selection. I obviously did too :)

I also heard that Bridal Mansion in Lisle is worth checking out too.

Have fun!
  • jbll326jbll326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to second A L'Amour in Barrington! My budget was exactly yours and I found my dream dress there within my budget! Rhonda was my consultant and I cannot say enough good things about her! She listened to exactly what I wanted and was VERY respectful of the budget (with some consultants, the number goes in one ear and out the other!), and she's been on top of everything - calling me when the veils came, when the dress came in, and to schedule alterations.

I also ordered our bridesmaid dresses on Netbride and it was a phenomenal experience! They found the dresses they liked at a bridal store, tried them on, and then we found out about Netbride so we decided to order from them. Just received them last week (a month earlier than promised!) and they are perfect! We saved over $50 per dress - I'm sure the savings on a wedding dress are even more! 

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I second Shelley's bridal in West Dundee.  My budget was the same as yours and I too went to David's Bridal first...but so happy with my choice at Shelley's Bridal in West Dundee.  Have fun...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 260 Invited image
    167 Thrilled to Attend image
    71 Devastated they can't make it image
    22 making us sweat it out image
    RSVP Date- June 30
  • bhagerty1180bhagerty1180 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I highly recommend Volle's Bridal in Lake Zurich. Their service is outstanding.  It truly was a great experience

• edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Weddings 826 in Lincon Park and had a great experience.

I planned to avoid mainstream shops becasue I didn't want to deal with pushy/sketchy salespeople and I wanted something unique. Weddings 826 was the second shop I visited and the woman who worked with me (the owner) was friendly but not pushy. They didn't force their opinions on you or steer you toward a specific dress. You can choose dresses to try on, but they will also suggest styles based on what suits you. I went back twice before buying and didn't feel pressured or rushed. They carry samples and new gowns from lesser-known designers, so you can find unique styles.

That being said, I had great experiences at a few other shops, and would have happily bought my dress there had I found The One:
    WhiteChicago (Chicago, River North)
    Jenny Yoo (Chicago, River North)
    Dame Couture (Evanston)

You can find reasonably-priced, unique gowns at all of them. I would be happy to chat in detail with anyone who is interested.

Good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards