Illinois-Chicago

Re: House of Brides news story

• edited December 2011
    HoB sold my info and I am getting spammed with snail mail from tons of different companies...I have even gotten phone calls.  Its driving me nuts.  I called the store and told them to take me off their list.....hopefully it helps.
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • ginavtobginavtob member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They sent me an "anonymous letter" (I figured out it was from them) saying that the place I bought my dress from was going out of business and that I should be careful because my dress may never come in. 
  • edited December 2011
    hmm... ive heard nothing but horrible things about HoB over the years... I dont intend on putting them on my list of stores to visit once we start dress shopping.  Makes me wonder how places like that stay in business!
  • Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress there, going against my better judgment. I knew they were notorious for bad service, but I didn't think I could afford to go to a smaller bridal boutique. I totally thought that my budget was well below what the standard price was as the smaller boutiques. Instead, I went to all of the "generic" bridal stores and received the so-so service that's to be expected.

I ordered my dress from HOB in June of 2009, thinking that the earlier I put in my order the faster it will come in. Um NO! They told me that my dress would be ready by mid-December. I called a week before Christmas, totally excited, and I was told that production on my dress was postponed due to dress orders that needed to be completed before mine. Apparently the dress maker produces dresses according to wedding date, and not order date. I made the mistake of giving them my real wedding date. My dress didn't come in until mid-April. I didn't get alterations done through them, I just wanted my dress and I wanted to get out of there!

I'm glad that I have my dress and to be done with that store.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_house-of-brides-news-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:675d70f3-0b36-493c-9683-08a7c3a346c3Post:7a9163cc-8ec0-4dba-8a42-2f8152c26dd9">Re: House of Brides news story</a>:
    [QUOTE]They sent me an "anonymous letter" (I figured out it was from them) saying that the place I bought my dress from was going out of business and that I should be careful because my dress may never come in. 
    Posted by ginavtob[/QUOTE]

I got the same letter!  Ugh, so frustrating. 
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • edited December 2011
    Yup, I got a letter too. It's really sad and annoying.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_house-of-brides-news-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:675d70f3-0b36-493c-9683-08a7c3a346c3Post:085746ff-6bb9-4f30-a0b2-0bf8ed255258">Re: House of Brides news story</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yup, I got a letter too. It's really sad and annoying.
    Posted by MINDMNMO[/QUOTE]
    THIS!
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • ginavtobginavtob member
    edited December 2011
    Wow that happened to you guys too?  It scared the s*** out of me when I got it.  I called my bridal store immediately and the lady just kinda laughed and said that it's been going on for years.

The funny part is that I found a dress that I loved, but felt the need to look at other places.  I went to House of Brides and this lady put us in a room and we waited for 45 minutes without getting one dress!  The service was so terrible that it literally sent me running back to the place I first went to and bought my dress right then and there.  If they spent as much time training their staff as they did making fake letters, they'd be much better off.
  • marissamaiermarissamaier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at HoB this past April, my wedding is in June next year, and I had awesome service! I heard so many bad reviews, but thought we'd just stop in HoB and check it out since they have a variety of dresses. After about 12 dresses and an hour later, I actually ended up buying both my dress and my veil there. The lady was very helpful and after different styles we tried out, actually picked out the dress I ended up buying--it definitely was something I wouldn't have picked out on my own. And then when we looked at veils I mentioned a style I liked, she went in back and came back with a veil that worked perfectly with the gown.

Has anyone else had a good experience? The only thing I am worried about is getting it in time after hearing everyone's horror stories.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think if you buy your dress from there, you don't get the mail spam...but if you don't...
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards