Illinois-Chicago
Options

What to pay a Cantor / Rabbi / Officiant?

We met with our Cantor last night and, amazingly, there is NO fee to officiate our wedding - however, she suggested that many people make donations to her discretionary fund for her to use on synagogue projects.  Does anyone know what a respectable and reasonable donation would be?  How much have your officiants charged? HELP!!!!!!

Re: What to pay a Cantor / Rabbi / Officiant?

• Options
    pajarito81pajarito81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well, we are "tipping' our priest a mandatory fee of $200 and cantors are usually about the same. My vocalist is $200 for the entire ceremony 1 hour, and my piano player is $100 for the church ceremony.
    Mrs. F 9-18-10
  • Options
    ee773ee773 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our cantor/rabbi is asking $750.  we are not affiliated with a particular synagogue and neither is he.  We met with him and liked him very much.  From what I've been reading it seems like $500-$1000 is the norm.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I met with a reverend for my non-denominational wedding, and she is asking for $500. That is the lowest amount I have heard, usually it is $600 or more. 

Also keep in mind that an officiant usually meets with you several times (planning and pre-marital counseling), and has to run the rehearsal in addition to being there for your wedding day. They are a huge part of your wedding day, since you couldn't do it without them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A good donation would be between $200-$500. There are definitely Rent-A-Rev's out there in that range. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our rabbi does not charge since we are members of the congregation but we are making a $500 donation to his discretionary fund. He said to donate what you could.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    jhwkgirljhwkgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

To have the church it's $300 for us + any donation to make up for the fact we aren't members.  We asked around and $150-$200 is the average "tip" on top of what you're paying if you're not a member.  $200 for the organist, so in total, $650.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards