Illinois-Chicago

Marriage License in Cook County

Hi ladies - can anyone tell me if Cook County will mail you a copy of your official marriage license after it is received with the signature from the officiant? We just got our marriage license last week and the lady there told me that I need to wait 2-3 weeks and then go back there to get a copy of it. I know in other counties (DuPage for example) they will mail it to you. I cannot for the life of my find it on the Cook County Website.

Can anyone tell me how that works? I was hoping to go change my name the Monday we are back from the honeymoon but I am thinking I might have to wait a while...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Marriage License in Cook County

• No they wont. You have to back in into the county clerks office and buy a cop of your marriage license. I would suggest buying a few copies since you will need one for the social security office, DMV, bank, work, insurance, etc. Also, none of the offices are open on Saturdays. The hours were cut due to budgets.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lovely. haha thanks for the info - how long did you wait to go get yours? I just don't want to make the trip all the way to the clerks office if it isn't ready.
    Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I believe I went 3-4 weeks after our wedding to make sure that everything would be processed. And it was ready when I went.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • They will mail it to you (or at least they did in April or May), but they charge a bunch of fees (credit card "convenience" fee and fedex to mail).  They also don't do it automatically, you have to order it.  I ended up just going to the clerk's office.  It was probably 4-6 weeks later because I was too lazy to go sooner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards