Illinois-Chicago
Options

Alteration Sticker Shock - please help

Hello all!  So I visited a seamstress today to get an estimate on my dress, and I almost had a heart attack when she quoted me $350.  My dress only cost $300 (ordered online from Pearl's Place), so I have a hard time justifying spending more on the alterations than I did on the actual dress. 

I have budgeted $200 for alterations - is this totally unrealistic?  All I need done is a hem and a bustle, and to have the straps shortened.  There is no beading or lace to worry about, so it should be a fairly simple job. 

Please tell me if I'm crazy to think that I can get this done for $200.  Or if you can recommend anybody that might be able to do these alterations within my budget, please let me know!  I live in Chicago, but I am totally willing to drive out to the burbs to save $150.  Thank you all so much for your help!

Re: Alteration Sticker Shock - please help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying 150 for a bustle, shortening it a tad bit, and adjusting the straps...and there is beading.

I'm using Teresa's on Belmont & central.  You have to be firm with her and patient. But she does a good job. I told her my wedding date is 2 weeks earlier than it really is because she procrastinates and I'm a worry wort.

She will also steam my dress in that 150.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a pretty good price! haha, but my person is a little bit pricey. The burbs will probably be cheaper though.
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm using Cori with the stitch fairy and she's not charging me that much.  she's awesome!!

www.thestitchfairy.com

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that is crazy. I know I am in the burbs but I am getting a french bustle, hem done, bra cups put in and a stitch through the top of the dress for only $150 through An's Alterations.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ladies, thank you so much for your suggestions.  I feel much better now!  I will be making some phone calls to the people you recommended.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is a lot...I am getting charged $350 as well but I need more work than that...I am getting a bustle, hemmed and taken in from my bust to my waist ( I had to order a size up because my stupid waist was 1/2 in to big)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 260 Invited image
    167 Thrilled to Attend image
    71 Devastated they can't make it image
    22 making us sweat it out image
    RSVP Date- June 30
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards