Illinois-Chicago
Options

How far ahead did you/do you plan to register?

I was looking at The Knot timeline and it's telling me it's something I'll be getting started on soon...seems kinda early for a September wedding. How far in advance did you set up your registry?

Re: How far ahead did you/do you plan to register?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We started the process back in May, but only online and we didn't release it until our shower invites were sent.  We started them a bit early but it worked out well because we were able to go back and review and change things over time.  We realized the first time around we registered for stuff that wasn't exactly what we wanted or needed so it was nice to edit slowly. 
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We got married 10/16/10 and started registering (CB & BBB initially) around 11/2009.

I will say, it's never too late to create a new registry!  We created a Macy's registry 22 days before the wedding (we hadn't found any bedding we liked before this) and we received everything off of it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered at Bed, Bath and Beyond and Pottery Barn. Wedding was in Sept, we registered in March. I have typically heard 6 mo out is good timing, unless you have a shower earlier than that. 

The BB&B registry was easier in that their stock does not really change season to season, so everything was still available from the time we registered up until the wedding. 

The Pottery Barn registry was more difficult because they change their stock pretty frequently so some items we registered for became unavailable before the wedding and we would have to go in and update, and change our selections. 

So if you're registering at BB&B or a department store where their inventory doesn't change, then it cant hurt to register early, but places like Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel, I would wait until right before your showers/wedding. 
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_far-ahead-did-youdo-plan-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:87cca627-704f-42c5-8cae-91e17b595109Post:0bddd972-54ae-4f0d-b554-ac81e57d0a54">Re: How far ahead did you/do you plan to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We registered at Bed, Bath and Beyond and Pottery Barn. Wedding was in Sept, we registered in March. I have typically heard 6 mo out is good timing, unless you have a shower earlier than that.  The BB&B registry was easier in that their stock does not really change season to season, so everything was still available from the time we registered up until the wedding.  The Pottery Barn registry was more difficult because they change their stock pretty frequently so some items we registered for became unavailable before the wedding and we would have to go in and update, and change our selections.  <strong>So if you're registering at BB&B or a department store where their inventory doesn't change</strong>, then it cant hurt to register early, but places like Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel, I would wait until right before your showers/wedding. 
    Posted by Annie_Warbucks[/QUOTE

Maybe it's the items we registered for...but literally  for atleast 4 weeks in a row every week something on our BBB registry became unavailable.  I just monitored it once a week to make sure everything was still there
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered at Macys,BBB, Crate & Barrel about 10 months prior to our wedding ( wedding is about 5 months away now) .

If I did it over, I think I'd wait til closer to the wedding b/c things keep getting discontinued and we have to watch and replace items.

The nice thing about registering early is that for birthdays/holidays people used our registry also lol.
    nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_far-ahead-did-youdo-plan-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:87cca627-704f-42c5-8cae-91e17b595109Post:0f4accd4-46f1-44a0-843c-273263ace1d2">Re: How far ahead did you/do you plan to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We registered at Macys,BBB, Crate & Barrel about 10 months prior to our wedding ( wedding is about 5 months away now) . If I did it over, I think I'd wait til closer to the wedding b/c things keep getting discontinued and we have to watch and replace items. <strong>The nice thing about registering early is that for birthdays/holidays people used our registry also lol.
    </strong>Posted by nikikarabetsos[/QUOTE]

So true!  MIL asked if I'll update the registry now (post wedding) with items we fulfill so that she can use it for Christmas gift ideas for remaining things we need
  • Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registerd in October for our July wedding. I wanted to do it before the holiday so our family can shop off there if they want. We went with C&B and BBB--I highly rec C&B regristry events, we went to one in Oct and it was fabulous!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered in March for our August Wedding.  Just be sure to check to make sure things aren't getting discontinued.  
    Married!!
  • Options
    stephasuasustephasuasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered 6 months before our wedding, and our shower was held two months before our wedding. We did Macy's, BBB, and Crate and Barrel. Macy's gives you 5% back for all the gifts that your guests purchase for you off your registry, and 10% back for everything that YOU purchase from the time you register until your wedding. We just got a gift card in the mail from them for $128!! We didn't actually even register for much at Macy's, but I ended up buying all my party dresses, shoes, etc from Macy's instead of other departments stores because I got 10% back. Now we get a little back in return :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards