Illinois-Chicago
Options

Thoughts on Late Night Snacks?

I've only been to one wedding with late night snacks (burgers, fries and ice cream cones) and really liked it. My FI wants to do this for our wedding but I'm not so sure since it wasn't in our original budget/plan. It will cost us an additional $570 for passed mini burgers, mini hot dogs, and veggie quesadillas (at 2 per guest). Do you think this is worth it?

For those of you that have done late night snacks or have been to weddings that have had late night snacks, would you recommend it?

TIA!

Re: Thoughts on Late Night Snacks?

• Options
    ladybug7485ladybug7485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like you, I've only been to 1 wedding with late night snacks and I thought it was fabulous. However, I can't seem to rationalize it for my own budget. $2/person is a really good price but the reason that we didn't want to do it is because a lot of our older guests and families will be gone by the time that they're served so we'd be paying for people that aren't even there to enjoy it.
    HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm obsessed with the idea of doing this, too, but probably nixing the idea of having my caterer do it since they are overpriced. I am hoping to get my favorite food from Portillo's and Lou Malnati's there as a casual delivery towards the end of the night. I haven't researched this and have no idea if possible.

Can you possibly negotiate with your food provider to provide $2 per person fee to cover 50% of the guests instead of 100% of them. Some of the older folks might be gone by the time your late night snack comes out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We can decide how many pieces we want to order. We expect 130 people for the reception but only about 75 to stick around until late night. It would cost $570 for 150 pieces (2 pieces per guest).

I briefly looked into getting snacks brought in from an outside vendor but they couldn't be served they would just be set out on a table and then we had to also pay for chafers to keep them warm (total cost: $700).  I like the idea of having snacks passed around to people on the dance floor instead of guests having to go get the food themselves.

I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra $7.60 per guest!?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely not worth the $7.60. Good point about passing vs. station. Hmmmm....I don't want to clutter the dance floor with food either since there still may be 150-175 left at the end of the night. with your size group, passing sounds perfect.

Maybe I will end up doing a late night snack station to avoid keeping a server extra hours and then people can help themselves sans the  chafers and hopefully people will eat right away?
  • Options
    ladybug7485ladybug7485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ohh if it's $7.60/person I don't think I would go for it. Especially if you're having an after party. And since you're in the city, there's so much that people can stop by and snack on on their way to the hotel if they want to.
    I think it's fun but I would pass and use the money elsewhere or save it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are probably going to get pizza delivered to the hotel after party suite instead of doing the late night snack; it's much more cost-effective.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of brides on my local board have posted about doing cheaper late-night snacks. Here are some I remember:

Popcorn "bar" (with different toppings/seasonings)
    cheese and crackers
    Soft pretzels w/ fixins
    hot dogs
    bbq sandwiches
    chex mix

I know I'm missing a bunch, too.
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea...but definitely not in our budget.  We are doing a candy buffet as well as a Garrett's popcorn buffet in lieu of a dessert table as well as a late night snack.  But like mandybear7, we'll probably end up ordering pizza for the after party.
  • Options
    kellym050370kellym050370 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also in the popcorn buffet team.  Further, are you doing h'or d'oeuvres as well as a full meal?  If so, a big chunk of your guests might not want a snack so I would estimate how many people might be there late into the evening and work it out that way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our "late night snack" was coffee to go and cookies hot from the oven.
    They were set up on a table by the entrance/exit door.
    Our reception was over at 11, and I think they set these out 10:00.
    The guests seemed to appreciate this very much.
  • Options
    05.05.1005.05.10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're doing it but not through our vendor. our mcdonalds is deliverying them to us at the end of the night for a take home snack.  I love the idea and made sure it was in my budget.  since this was more important to me than a sweet table or favors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards