Illinois-Chicago
Options

Questions for reception venue

Good morning ladies,

I am visiting my first reception venue possibility this evening and I was wondering if any of you had  a list of questions that need to be asked to the venue.  I want to make sure I am thorough in my discussions and don't want to leave anything out.  Anybody know of anything like this?  Thanks!
Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
396 were invited image
250 will be there!image
146 are missing outimage
0 are still thinkingimage
RSVP Date: December 15th

Re: Questions for reception venue

• Options
    morgie44morgie44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some of these might not apply to you but some of ours were:

The server/guest ratio and the bar or bartender/guest ratio.  I was told you want 1 bartender per 100 guests
    Is there an extra charge for extra bartenders/or bars?
    Is there a charge for offering guests more than 1 entree? 
    Can we do a tasting BEFORE booking?
    Can we bring in an outside vendor for chair covers?
    Are there any restrictions for decor/centerpieces?
    Are there any restrictions for when event can start/end?
    How many events could be going on at the same time?
    What is the service charge?  What does it include?  I have heard that at some places, this is NOT the server's tip!
    What is the space minimum $ or people?
    Find out what the floorplan would look like for your estimated number of guests.  Some venues say that their rooms will fit x number of people, but then in actuality, that includes some tables that may have to be taken down after dinner. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011

A few more questiosn:
    -I noticed that you're a winter bride; you might want to ask about discounts for that time of year.  Winter weddings give extra room to negotiate :)
    -Ask what the amount per person is with tax and gratuity-  included gratuity and tax, it  can add A LOT onto the cost of a receptions site. 
    -Liability insurance- I asked only because I used to work for personal injury firm.  My fiance is an attorney, too, and he thought i was being ridiculous!
    -If children are invited, ask the price for the kids meal (and vendor meals)
    -what decor is included
    Hope this helps!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    the knot makes a great book that is just full of lists of quesitons to ask your various vendors - i  think i found it on amazon for around $10 or so.  was worth every penny to me
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  This helps so much.  I'm sort of lost on this stuff, but luckily my mother is coming with.  I will check out that book.  Maybe I can find it in a books store tonight before the appointment. 
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
  • Options
    jbll326jbll326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

There was a post the other day from a mom whose daughter's venue booked 2 weddings at the same time - so I would ask to see the contract ahead of time if possible and ask what they would do in that situation.

I am a huge DIY bride, so it was important to me to know exactly what the venue coordinator was willing to help with and what was too much to ask for. I was concerned that we'd have to hire someone to setup centerpieces, placecards, etc. That's one of the reasons we love PHM so much, the venue coordinator is essentialy a DOC and will do EVERYTHING for us.

If you want candles anywhere in your decor, ask what their policy is. We're limited to 5 flames/table because it's an historic building.

As a winter bride, ask about coat check (yes, silly I know, but I didn't want coats draped over the back of chairs in our beautiful ballroom!).

Bar package price for under 21 (but not a child).

If it's in the city, what's the parking situation and cost?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One really small item...ask if they charge tax on the gratuity. Seems so simple, but it really adds up. My venue does not, but I have heard of others being surprised by this. It makes no sense at all. Places that call it a "service charge" tend to do this. I don't know why they would want to!
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards