Illinois-Chicago
Options

Where should I move?

FI and I have just started browsing around to see what kinds of prices we can get in different neighborhoods. We have a pretty tall list of expectations for the city. Tell me if you know anything about these neighborhoods....
Rogers Park
UIC/Tri Taylor
Logan Square
Bucktown
They're pretty inexpensive and you can get a lot for your money. I would love to move closer to downtown as we both work on Mich Ave/River North but we really need available parking.
Any feedback on these areas?

Re: Where should I move?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Logan Square! Woohoo, I am bias though, I live there. Also like Bucktown a ton, but it is pricier (I used to live there) I think Logan is the new Bucktown personally, tons of new restaurants opening all the time and there are so many parks and boulevards, I think it is really nice. UIC is too far for me personally from everything I am used to, although I think it is a nice area. I think Rogers Park is kinda sketchy...just IMO.
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I lived in Bucktown (as a renter) for 5+ years and loved it!!  Easy access to trains and 90/94 and lots of great things to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Edgewater Beach which is just south of Rogers Park.  There are totally some sketch areas, but if you live near Loyola campus it gets much nicer.  Not GREAT but better than up north by like Jarvis.

Logan square has some great restaurants...thats all I know about that area! 

FI and were looking at UIC/west loop area and found some places but they were WAY expensive...and I didn't want to live in student housing.  I'm in love with Edgewater/Andersonville. Great prices and lots to do.
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    mbuhpathimbuhpathi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bucktown has so much going on and is great. We both really love it. Logan Square is also cool too and has easier parking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I lived in Rogers Park, and there are nice neighborhoody areas (and super close to the lake) but there are also sketchy areas.  The closer to Loyola the better, generally.
    I also lived in Wicker Park (slightly south of Bucktown- although I think most people consider Wicker Park to be Bucktown) and it was great.  Affordable rent, street parking (not even permit parking in some spots) and just a fun place.  One caution though- its not that fun living off the Blue Line.  My now-fiance lived in lakeview and it was a 45 minute commute to his place and my commute to work downtown would take between 20-45 minutes depending on slow zones, delays, etc. 
  • Options
    amylulichamylulich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the reviews and this post! ! FI and I are moving by July 1st. I've lived in Lakeview all four years I've lived in the city but it is expensive and FI needs a dedicated parking spot. We are hoping (well more like I'm hoping) to stay in the city and are looking in UIC/West Loop, Wicker Park, Bucktown too.

• Options
    dssalisburydssalisbury member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'd recommend Edgewater (just south of Rogers Park)...lots of great 2 and 3 flat rentals and condos available. We live about 3 blocks from Thorndale beach, a block from a Dominick's, 1/2 a block from the Red Line...great restaurants, easy parking, etc. I love it! Plus Andersonville is super close for bar hopping and M. Henry breakfast!

• Options
    lharri12lharri12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I've lived in three of these neighborhoods (the only three places I've lived in Chicago)!
    Logan Square - our current residence.  Very cool area, and very reasonably priced.  It's very up-and-coming, culturally diverse, what Bucktown was 5-10 years ago.  Parking is pretty easy.  I really like it here.

Bucktown - where I lived for three years in med school.  Very hip, young, nicer than Logan Square, but maybe a little more expensive.  Parking can be a pain at certain times of day.  I really like Bucktown, and we'll probably move there next year when I start making "real doctor" money.

UIC - I lived here my first year of med school.  There are some ghetto areas near it, but I suppose that's the case anywhere, it just seems closer here.  There are some nice restaurants.  It has sort-of a college-feel to it, so if that's what you're going for, it's good, but if you're looking for a more "adult" atmosphere, I'd advise against it.

Feel free to ask me follow-up questions...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ladybug7485ladybug7485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay for votes for Logan Square! I keep looking at all the nice places there and really liking them but my cube-mate keeps telling me there's nothing there to do. Good to hear that people that actually live there like it! The only thing I'm iffy about is public transportation as I don't work very close to a blue line stop but hopefully I won't have the same job in the next few months so that may not be a concern!

ETA: I also currently live in Lakeview (Roscoe Village) and I just can't rationalize staying when we can save so much $$ and move.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Roscoe village was honestly my most favorite place in the city...it  was hard to leave.  My first choice would be bucktown.  I have never lived there but had some close friends who did and LOVED it...

I had wanted to buy something and of course couldn't afford much so moved to Rogers Park...I would have to say I was VERY happy when I sold my condo and  moved from there.  Very sketchy areas...however nice for public tran...

I worked in Logan Square for a few years and would pick Bucktown well over it...however the proximity is so close it is probably worth the price difference...

Good luck to you...just spend some time looking around the areas and go there at different times of day/night and during the week and wknds.  You will pick the right one for you and your wallet...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 260 Invited image
    167 Thrilled to Attend image
    71 Devastated they can't make it image
    22 making us sweat it out image
    RSVP Date- June 30
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I currently live in on the bucktown logan border "west bucktown" in realtor speak.  We are right off Armitage between Western and California.  We LOVE it, parking is easy, we are 3 blocks from the blue line, and it is WAY cheaper then east of Western.  Easy access to all the restaurants of Bucktown and Logan.  My one qualm is that although its safe I dont feel comfortable walking the dog alone after dark--although who knows if I would in any neighborhood in the city. 

There are actually units for sale in our building, its a loft condo building--1934 N. Washtenaw.
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bucktown is the best out of these, IMO.  You should also look into West Town & Ukrainian Village.  They're a little closer to downtown & still have a lot of great things to offer.  I'd be careful with going too far North.  It can be a little shady in some areas, and housing values have significantly dropped.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards