Illinois-Chicago
Options

Newbie in Chicago! (NWR)

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to Chicago (moved here because my FI is going for his doctorate at U of C) and feel kind of lost.  I just graduated with my Masters and have not yet found a job, so I don't really have anything tying me to the city and it's kind of lonely leaving all of my friends behind (in Florida, where I moved from).  I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions of things to do in the city to meet new people, and whether there were any upcoming GTG's.  I'm not having my wedding in Chicago (it will be back home) but it would be really nice to meet new people so I'm not constantly in my apartment 24/7.  Does anybody have any ideas??  Any help would be so appreciated, and hopefully I will get to know you all on TK as well! :0)

Re: Newbie in Chicago! (NWR)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    welcome to chicago! We have GTGs sometimes.  KThame usually posts about them, but she just got married last weekend..not sure if she will be around in the next couple of weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! I moved here last year and am in a similar situation, but I have been working so much I haven't had time to meet a lot of people.  I heard that the park district classes can be really good, especially the sailing classes.  What neighborhood are you in? 
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could volunteer somewhere for a cause you're interested in;  I've heard that PAWS (animal shelter/rescue) is a great way to meet people.  You could also join a running group (try CARA) or start taking a park district class of some sort.  I hope this helps!  And get out and enjoy the city- the summer here are the best!
  • Options
    bellaluna290bellaluna290 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! I'm kind of new to the city myself...I haven't even lived here for a year yet.  What field are you in?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ladybug7485ladybug7485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've been trying to do GTGs about once a month and recently had one a couples weeks ago so next one will probably be in July I would guess. You're always welcome to join! I'm also curious on your field because I have my master's as well, us knotties may be of some help job wise as well!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to Chicago, I would suggest if you like sports (not necessary super competitive) that you look into some some leagues at places like Sports Monster and Chicago Sport and Social club.  I'm from Chicago and made lots of good friends this way.  Plus I've discovered bars and restaurants I would have never found on my own.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!  I live in the South Loop area, and my Masters was in Industrial/Organizational Psychology.  I really like the idea about joining a sports league, I played competitive volleyball in high school, and I hear that during the summer the beach volleyball leagues are the best!  Anybody on any teams?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards