Illinois-Chicago
Options

Looking for an understanding Rabbi

My fiance is Jewish and I am Catholic.  It is important to him to be married by a Rabbi.  Although I don't want to convert, I am completely comfortable without a Priest.  Does anyone know a Rabbi who is understanding, and will still get to know us eventhough I'm not Jewish?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Looking for an understanding Rabbi

• Options
    josiegirljosiegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most rabbis will not marry a mixe-religion couple, but I believe there is one who will officiate i: Rabbi Sternfield.  I am sorry I do not know his phone number.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, you have limited options for a rabbi. 

I'm jewish and my fiance is catholic.  Rabbi Sternfield is marrying us too.  He's with Chicago Sinai Congregation, so you can find his information on their website.  I LOVE HIM, he's been so great with everything 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think Old St. Pat's has a Jewish/Catholic/Interfaith family group.  You might want to check that out for recs.  Also, my fiance's friends are a Jewish/Atheist couple and got married by a rabbi from Lakeview/Boystown.  I don't know his name or congregation, but maybe check out temples in the lakeview area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    try this:
    http://www.interfaithfamily.com/jml/index.php?option=com_civicrm&view=Profiles&Itemid=62

we found someone who was reconstructionist (but are getting married in the Boston area).  Be forwarned, many of the rabbis who do this get the majority of their income from weddings, so they are expensive!
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    brechez515brechez515 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I was really worried we were going to have a lot of trouble finding someone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lunacydresslunacydress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You may want to look into a humanist rabbi.  We were going to use the one my cousin used, Rabbi Adam Chalom out of Kol Hadash.  He was really great at my cousin's wedding, but isn't available on our date :(  There's a whole section on his website about marriage and inter-faith marriage.  http://www.kolhadash.com/

We're also mixed-faith, sorta.  My fiance is Catholic and my parents were mixed faith (Catholic and culturally Jewish).  We ended up going with a laicized priest, a friend of my fiance's family.  He was a priest, but left to marry a nun.  He can still perform weddings, though, just not in a church.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards