Illinois-Chicago
Options

Wedding dresses

I still have yet to find my dress! :(

I am looking for a great bridal salon who has a great selection of dresses. I am a plus size 14 but tall. Anyone have any suggestions on dresses to try? Any designers I should be looking at? Gown styles? I like the mermaid but not sure how comfortable they would be?

Thank you!

Re: Wedding dresses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jeanbaby, it really depends more on your body shape, I know you say size 14 and tall, but how tall? are you curvy,square, pear shaped?
    This all makes a big difference in what styles look good on you.
    nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • Options
    shochstetlershochstetler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jeany,

I'm five foot eleven and size 12 in street clothes.  I bought a size 14 mermaid style dress and love it!   Though I can't speak to how easily I'll be able to get around in it at the wedding, I was easily able to navigate the bridal shop.  Plus I'm excited to wear something that shows off my curves.  Good luck making your decision.  :)

S.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress from Shelley's bridal in West Dundee.  They had a nice variety of dresses and I am curvy.  You really need to try on a ton of different styles you will be surprised at the ones that look good.  Mine is not mermaid but very fitted through the waist and hips which I thought would never look good on me!  Have fun, it's a great experience!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 260 Invited image
    167 Thrilled to Attend image
    71 Devastated they can't make it image
    22 making us sweat it out image
    RSVP Date- June 30
  • Options
    NoronNoron member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm curvy as well!  I'm not sure if my dress was a mermaid (pics in married slideshows in siggy), but it was definitely fitted throughout the hips.  I'm pretty body-confident, so I knew it would be something I would be comfortable wearing.  I got my dress at Kasia's and it was a "Kasia's Original" or something (I think that means "cheap knockoff of a designer dress")...but almost any dress store you go in to will be able to help you narrow down what shapes you like best.  GL and have fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2, 2010
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    EDD October 10, 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the previous posts!  Try on a lot of different styles.  I'm also curvy, and thought I knew what I liked/what would look best and ended up with something completely different.  I tried going the sample dress route at multiple stores, but that can get frustrating because the sample sizes are usually smaller than a 14. 

Most stores can order dresses in any size - you just may not be able to try it on in a size that fits - I had many that they had to clip to my bra so that I could get an idea of the look.  I think most designers can also add extra length to a dress if the normal length is too short.

Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards