Illinois-Chicago

what color should the mother of the bride wear

My mom just brought a dress for my wedding in may it's the same color of the bridesmaid dresses.  What is the rule about that ?

Re: what color should the mother of the bride wear

• I've generally heard that the MOB should wear the same shade as the bridesmaids. I think any color is fine as long as MOB stays away from the ivory/creams unless you are okay with that.

• edited December 2011
    I think the MOB should wear whatever makes them feel and look their best. I don't think they need to be limited to a color or shade. I think it is fine that she wear the same color, but she shouldn't feel like she needs to.
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • edited December 2011
    Isn't there something about her wearing beige and keeping her mouth shut?  Maybe that's the mother of the groom...

Oddly enough, my mom is wearing bronze and the MOG is wearing a lighter shade of the bridesmaids' dresses.  I think your moms should wear whatever's comfortable to them.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • edited December 2011
    My mom just ordered a champagne colored dress, although the name of the color is cappuccino.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • MsBunny312MsBunny312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've actually seen a lot of mothers wear champagne colored dresses. But honestly, they should just wear a color that is flattering on them.
  • edited December 2011
    Generally the MOB and MOG are supposed to wear dresses that aren't white, don't clash with the bridesmaids dress, and coordinate with the general look/formality of the wedding.  For example, if the bridesmaid are wearing pink, the MOB/G should probably avoid choosing a bright red dress.

The MOB/G are usually not expected to exactly match the bridesmaids.  Personally I would probably feel that a MOB dress in the same exact color as the bridesmaids is a little too matchy-matchy.  However, if you don't mind the way they look together, I don't think it's breaking any special rule for them to match.
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from the school of thought that thinks the mothers should wear whatever they like and feel great in, regardless of if it matches the BMs dresses or not.  No one will mistake one of the mothers for a BM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards